Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Me smart, or me Stupid? (A SS player lost in the world of MTT)

[ QUOTE ]
stop and go

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the stop and go...but I don't like it here. This is too good a hand to allow the big stack to see a cheap flop. Put him to the test. Would love to see other's comments on this.

Rob
Enlightenment Always Welcome
Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 AM

I agree that this is not the time for a SnG. You have a great deal of folding equity - if the opponent is solid, he's going to have to lay down a lot of coin-flip and even a few dominated hands (AT, AJ,KQ, KJ, JQ and maybe even AQ, TT and JJ) to a push.

If you run into AK and lose, that's life. If you run into a bigger pair, cards happen.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Agreed.

Poster has both folding equity and a reasonably good hand, not the recipe for a stop n go.

Push,Push,Push.

Moo

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Results, sort of.

Thanks folks---I am an atrocious bubble finisher---I often finish right on the bubble, or narrowly inside the money, because I play way too conservatively late in the game.

In this case I pushed, he called, his overcards paired on the flop and the nine never came. Not a huge deal.

Thanks for the input--I'll push, and push again in this situation.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 PM

The reason this is not perfect for the stop and go is the min raise from the c/o, you have good folding equity to a push, therefore i might push.
the thought that the hand is best, is one criteria for the stop and go:
past post
No, at least by my definition of the play, he is NOT using the stop-and-go on you.

The sng is a play I use, usually when my blind is raised, and I think I have the best hand. However, I also think that I'd rather win what's out there now, as opposed to reraising all-in in a spot where I'm almost certain to get called. Thus, if I know he's pot stuck to call my all-in raise preflop, I might choose to just call preflop, and then bet the flop all-in. If he does call, it's no different than if I did it all preflop. If he folds, he will occasionally fold a hand that would've caught on me on the turn or river, and even less occasionally he will fold a hand that was ahead of me when I went all-in. The downside to the play is that I fail to win those extra chips every time my hand would've won at the showdown all-in.

Let's say I post a BB of T100. You raise on the button to T300. If I go all-in, it will be for a total of T600. With you getting pot odds of spending T300 more to win T950, you pretty much have to call with anything. However, if I flat-call your T300, and then bet the same T300 on the flop, getting 3:1 on the call isn't good enough if you think you only have 2-5 outs. Thus, you may fold.

Again, I do this when I would rather you folded, yet, I honestly believe I likely have the best hand preflop. Whether that's a good Ax, or a pair, it's a hand that is too good to fold to your position raise, but weak enough I'd love for you to fold now rather than race me for everything.

Plus, if I have AK, and bet all-in on the J95 flop, you might lay down a hand like 66. In that case, the sng play gains me HUGE equity.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)