Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Too tight of a fold on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Losing 4BB isn't a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was winning 10BBs 83 percent of the time and losing 4BBs 16 percent of the time with that turn, I think that qualifies as winning the maximum and losing the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

*shrug* Why lose any more with this trashy hand?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Losing 4BB isn't a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was winning 10BBs 83 percent of the time and losing 4BBs 16 percent of the time with that turn, I think that qualifies as winning the maximum and losing the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

*shrug* Why lose any more with this trashy hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be inclined to take your advice seriously if you were to provide some type of reasoning with it. Simply calling a hand trash even at a time where it had clear value is irrational, I thought that we were in the business of finding edges and investing heavily when we have them? In this game I had seen that people were in the habit of going too far with their hands, so if I happened to make a hand that was favored to win I'd be likely to be paid off by worse hands, yet I wouldn't give much up when I was losing. If you have an actual explanation for why this is a trash hand that can't make a profit except that SSH hasn't included it in their recommendation charts, such as it won't make a winning hand often enough even against these weak players for the extra half a small bet, please let me know, because right now you sound dogmatic and nuts.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 AM

dauler, you're never going to win money with K7o in micro limits. You're dominated, plenty of overcard, and you can't make any big hands without a miracle.

But feel free to play it and record your results.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I might be inclined to take your advice seriously if you were to provide some type of reasoning with it. Simply calling a hand trash even at a time where it had clear value is irrational, I thought that we were in the business of finding edges and investing heavily when we have them? In this game I had seen that people were in the habit of going too far with their hands, so if I happened to make a hand that was favored to win I'd be likely to be paid off by worse hands, yet I wouldn't give much up when I was losing. If you have an actual explanation for why this is a trash hand that can't make a profit except that SSH hasn't included it in their recommendation charts, such as it won't make a winning hand often enough even against these weak players for the extra half a small bet, please let me know, because right now you sound dogmatic and nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't in the business of finding edges when you play K7o. Not even out of SB. So when people say you should dump it preflop it is because it is a hand that will lose you money in the long run. They aren't saying you can't win a pot with it. People aren't giving advice for this specific hand, but general advice. It is a dog because it rarely makes the best hand, and when you make a hand it will often be the second best hand costing you a lot of money.

You are of course free to ignore what everyone else is saying if you think you can squeeze some +EV out of this hand.

If you want some empirical evidence that it is a dog, feel free to check out the stats from Pokerroom. http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evsta...hp?order=value
Old 01-16-2005, 04:25 AM

you aren't gonna turn trips with K7o very often, that and you only make 2pair what 2% of the time on the flop ... you are often dominated make a good hand less than 3% of the time

what more evidence do you need .. check your stats you won't make money even at discounted price
Old 01-16-2005, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the stats, I'm sorry if I sounded stubborn about K7o having profitability, it just sounded like people had it labeled as trash under normal circumstances and weren't taking into account different situations where it could become profitable. I still believe that it can be profitable when the only people who have entered the pot are liable to have called with even worse hands and whose postflop play is equally abysmal, especially considering it's only half a bet. Thanks for the general advice though, 2+2 has already done wonders for improving my play.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...isn't it good enough that I can call for half a bet on the small blind and expect to win the maximum from them when I'm ahead and lose the minimum when I'm behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Offsuit trash for 1/2 a sb is still offsuit trash. Fold pf.

-Jaran
Old 01-16-2005, 07:03 AM

I'm folding preflop without a thought and then thinking about calling the river but then folding to the two-bet. With a bigger pot, I might call, but not be happy about it. I'd be more inclined to bet the river after 3-betting and folding to aggression. It's a tough decision the way the turn and river was played.

Ks is trash enough, Ko is for garbage day.