Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Tips for winning on party?

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't 4 table the 25NL with only a $200, the risk of ruin is going to be pretty high. I would suggest single tabling the tables until you get the bankroll up to ~400, that way you will get comfortable with the play have a bigger cushion. Then once you get back to 4 tabling peddle the nuts, because you will get paid off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is the difference in terms of bankroll to single table with 200 at NL 25 or mutli-table. In terms of risk or ruin none. You will jsut play four times faster, get more hands, you will still have the same risk of ruin.
Ok, u can argue that u can focus more if u playing in one table only, but that is not always the case, some people playing only one table online, tend to distract with webpages, phone, small talk, ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually 4-table and still tend to distract with webpages, phone, small talk, ... Am i doing something wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Maybe u just normal...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: How do you pretend youre a Maniac??

do stuff like open push with AA/KK preflop, raise preflop on the button with suited connectors, mid pocket pairs. be more aggressive all around.

Thats how you pretend to be a maniac. you maintain same VPIP, you play same number of hands as you would play normally but when you play them, you almost always play them for a raise. I think I preflop raise more hands at 6 max than I limp.

But this style is hard to pull off and require a lot of good postflop play.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM

I play mostly full ring games at Party 1 - 2 NL.

The biggest adjustment is stack size. You can't play as many sneaky hands and hope to get paid off huge. Because the money's not deep, I don't think you can play as many hands as you might on Stars.

I would NOT play those mediocre hands for a (big) raise. Period. There are better opportunities to make money.

I play sets, and made hands VERY fast on the flop. Your sets WILL be profitable. Also, you will probably get your nuts paid off much more often on Party than on Stars. I think value betting at the lower limits on Party is not as profitable. (Read the essay on overbetting in this month's twoplusttwo magazine, it's right on.)

Also with short stacks, you really have to pay attention to how many chips will be left on the turn or river if you bet and are called. Many times, your opponent is getting proper odds to chase on the turn because there's just not much money left. If a flop bet will leave you or your opponent with less than 1/4 of the pot to bet on the turn or river, you may want to consider checking (so you can put the question to him on 4th street) or pushing.

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I do kinda like 6 handed tables,so I might try them.

I still need suggestions on how to play big PP's/AK. With something like QQ-TT, if it flops an overcard, should I ignore it and keep on betting? I read this in a thread here...somewhere. Sounds crazy, are PP players this bad?

And AK, should I be willing to go allin preflop here? This sounds crazy too, but I might get some calls from any A or K or Q and alot of folding equity from small PP's, and rarely be up a hand that truely dominates me(AA/KK). I just hate the idea of raising a bunch preflop then folding to no A/K flopping. Maybe I'm just being stupid and should do a raise of $2-3 and bet like $10 on an A/K flop and fold nothing flops. Yea I'm being stupid.

With QQ-TT an overcard with flop more than 50% of the time... need suggestions, thanks again.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM

when you have PP and flops an overcard, whether you should bet or not depends on how many people are in the hand. If its heads up, I tend to bet it.

With AK, you can go all in preflop but its stack size dependent. I wouldn't open push with AK.

you need to realize that you will only hit A or K on the flop 1/3 of the time. But the point is that when you bet preflop, they have no idea whther you did it with AK or JJ or QQ. So try betting the flop when you miss too but folding to a flop bet before you when you miss. and obviously I would recommend only betting the flop when you miss with AK when its headsup. Multiway, its not that good.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So try betting the flop when you miss too but folding to a flop bet before you when you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but I always raise minbets. I don't know what they represent (small PPs, bluffs?), but they fold 9/10 times to a pot sized raise in my experience.

[ QUOTE ]
and obviously I would recommend only betting the flop when you miss with AK when its headsup. Multiway, its not that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mix it up in a 3-way pot. Depends of the flop structure.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 PM

yes 3 way I mix it.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 PM

This is good stuff, but can you guys give me some ideas on what other hands to play(other than AAQQKKAKAQ)?

If I'm only hitting AK 1/3 of the time, overcards flopping 1/2 the time(say if I have JJ), sets hitting 1/8 the time, where is the most of my money coming from?

I guess I should be limping from late position with bigger cards and hoping to hit top pair good kicker? I just hate sitting there like a rock getting blinded away. I'm a better player than this.

Thanks again for all the tips guys.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:20 PM

People think I'm a maniac many times and they often call my $3 raises preflop when I have KK AA QQ . I really don't think it is hard to get these fish to call your raises preflop. I sometimes have a problem with too many calling my raises preflop when I have a good hand. First thing is to realize you have a problem. There has to be a problem or it isn't worth it. I mean if they are already calling your raising when you have KK , don't worry about acting like a maniac. Just play it straight up. If they are folding to your raises, this is when you need to start acting. (or just move to another table). Might be easier just to move to another table. Might be cheaper too. Get KQ....raise to $3. Get K T....raise to $3 preflop. Get A T ...raise to $3 . Get KK ...raise to $3 and get paid. You get the idea. When you have KQ, you will win enough times to make this profitable at the 6 max I think. Same for A T and Q J, etc. If they are folding to your raises, then you just won 75 cents with K Q. Not bad and KQ isn't really even worth that much. Raise the same amount each time so when you get KK and you raise the same, they will think you are full of it. I should add that you do need to understand when you need to give these hands up. Also, nothing wrong with checking on the flop after you have raised. Save money but project a crazy image.