Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Winning the Party Super Monday (LONG, oh so long)

I think I was looking for a little post flop play, as this kind of hand doesn't really mind whether I get in with 5 people or someone late raises and tries to blow out the field (in which case, I may have a little surprise for them). With AKo I would always raise here.

As for the flop, the player on my right bet and there were several people to act behind me who might yet raise, and my draw is such that if I pair the turn, I will get minimal action when ahead (since if I'm ahead, the bettor will no longer have top pair) and lose many chips if behind (say he has a set and the turn is an ace), whereas if I pick up the flush draw, I'll likely have to face another bet.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:53 AM

"Very aggressive game, are you actually reading them, or do you always bet hard."

Most of my reading comes simply in observing how often people are willing to lay down hands, and how often they are raising or reraising. For frequent folders, I lower my raising standards, but increase my calling standards. For frequent raisers/reraisers, I increase my raising standards slightly, but lower my calling standards. Aggression is definitely a big part of my game, obviously.

"Obviously some days this style works well when you never run into hands, but most days you'll get worked running into big hands."

A few comments about this; first, you have to do it in such a way as to keep your stack out of risk while trying to win chips. I posted something a week or so ago about how I think the raise 3x big blind, bet pot on the flop strategy doesn't work well online, since you get overcommitted to pots too quickly. If you review the early hands, you'll see a lot of 2.5x BB raises, followed by 50-65% pot bets on the flop, letting me escape from those big hands.

Second...you'd be surprised how few big hands get dealt out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Even when you're behind, if you play it in such a way to give yourself to fire two barrels, the mere threat of the second barrel makes people get dealt not only two good starters, but also find a good flop to play those good starters with.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM

you have a hand in the middle there where you move from ~t6900 to !t12000 by catching flush out of q9o. I am learning so bear with me. I can see why you want to push UTG who limps, but I don't see where you call the BB reraise of 450. Is it just that the reraise is small, or do you know something else? I gotta put at least one of these guys on a hand here. Is there something more than table image / position here that sees you calling?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:01 PM

Awesome win and post. I've noticed the same things that you have with reference to raising with anything and then betting 2/3 the pot (not every hand obviously). I am going to have to add in the raise the limper strategy. While reading your post last night I was playing in a one table qualifier for a weekday super. Long story short I felt like I played very aggressively when we got down to 4 and won. I think it was reading your post and being reminded of the fact that people actually have to have a hand to call you.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:46 PM

"Dealt Q9o in the cutoff with blinds at 100-200. UTG limps and I raise to 550. BB (5820) reraises to 900. I call. Flop QsJd6d. BB bets 500 and I raise to 1750. He calls. Turn 4d. He checks, I bet 1750 and he calls. River Ad. Checked around. Showdown his AA, and I win with the queen high flush. Stack: 11689."

My first instinct here was to fold, until I saw exactly how much it was to call (yay for online poker which tells you these things without you having to think). Its a combination of three things:

1) His raise of 350 with the pot currently standing at 1750. Obviously, very small in relation to my stack and the current pot.

2) Relative positions; I will be able to act last after him each round. As you can see how the hand played out, I was able to keep my exposure to a minimum on the turn, which I probably can't do if I have to act first. The river was going check check pretty much no matter what (though I certainly could have bet this specific river card!).

3) His deep stack behind (which is why I noted his 5820 in the hand summary); if I hit my hand, he's got plenty more for me to win.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Congrats.

I'm curious about your BB play. I see you getting real aggressive and raising limpers with your little aces, but when you have AJ in the same position you just call. Is this just a feeling or a concious decision to try and make more post-flop with a better hand?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:23 PM

Great post... this gives me a lot of insight.

How much was 1st good for?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:28 PM

I believe strongly in the theory expounded in one 2+2 book called "Don't turn a good hand into 72o". Middle strength hands that build one pair like AJo I am much more likely to check in the blinds as by raising preflop, I put myself in situations where I can very well make medium strength hands and get overcommitted and not sure where I'm at. With A2o, its unlikely I'll get overcommitted without being very sure where I am in the hand.

The main difference for me between A2o and AJo in these spots is when the flop comes ace high. The A2o I can get away from if I make one pair and someone gives action so I don't mind putting more pressure on for smaller chips on earlier betting rounds. The AJo I may have more trouble escaping if I'm losing, and am more likely to make mistakes with.

Say the flop is A-8-4 and someone calls my flop bet, the turn is a 3, I bet and someone raises all in. The A2o I can fold quite easily here if the bet is of any significant amount, and be fairly certain I'm right in doing so.

The AJ, not so much. By keeping the pot smaller preflop with AJ, I force that turn raise to be much larger in relation to the pot (since my flop and turn bets will also be smaller), which makes it much easier to lay down the AJ.

I hope what I mean is clear...it makes sense to me but maybe its silly. I will note that contrary to the book's advice, I would tend to raise a couple of limpers with a pocket pair, because again, my post flop decision making will be fairly easy and I am unlikely to make errors in calling (or folding to) large bets from others in the hand.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM

$25,014
Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, Im like 4 hands in and wondering if I will ever be able to play this way. This is unmitigated agression and im glad it worked for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Zaxx on this one. Wow. Reminds me of one of Jason Strasser's SnGs I watched. I just couldn't believe how much abuse people will take.

I don't know if I've got the nuts to try this for a full tournament, but can't wait to do so in the early stages of a sng, and see how people react.