Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: here is a hand I still have not figured out.

I had him covered in chips, but only by ~100.

Also later in the tournament he held to his TTP style as I had stolen his blind more than once with some aggressive bets, eventually he was blinded out of the tournament.

As for me I went out on a hand I am still kicking myself for. Up against another conservative player with AKs in late position. Blinds are at 100-200, and I make it 500. The SB is the only caller. Flop comes A-Q-5, with 2 hearts. He checks to me and I bet 1000. He quickly calls. Turn is another A, and not a heart. This time he bets 500 and I raise to 1000. He re-raises me all-in. At this point I definatly put him on and A and decide to call. I was pretty much pot commited at this point. The river is nothing, not that it mattered, as he flipped over his AQx. I think I should have seen this coming as he was pretty conservative and probably would not be beting with Ax.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM

I think you'll be ahead and facing only two outs about 80% of the time.

I'll happily lose this 20% of the time to double up the other 80%.

The times he shows the winning hand, I just treat it as a bad beat and move on.

Lori
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think he'd call your raise with Ax or the like to flop trips? If so then easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't. It's ALWAYS an easy call, because even a fish that will coldcall A5 will also coldcall 87/TT-88/A6 and play them all exactly the same way.

You shouldn't even be thinking here.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for me I went out on a hand I am still kicking myself for. Up against another conservative player with AKs in late position. Blinds are at 100-200, and I make it 500. The SB is the only caller. Flop comes A-Q-5, with 2 hearts. He checks to me and I bet 1000. He quickly calls. Turn is another A, and not a heart. This time he bets 500 and I raise to 1000. He re-raises me all-in. At this point I definatly put him on and A and decide to call. I was pretty much pot commited at this point. The river is nothing, not that it mattered, as he flipped over his AQx. I think I should have seen this coming as he was pretty conservative and probably would not be beting with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit poker. At the very least, reread some books before playing again.

You are either far too results oriented or far too weak tight. Folding this would be worse than the AA fold.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:42 PM

I think I should have seen this coming as he was pretty conservative and probably would not be beting with Ax.

He will show you AJ nearly as often as AQ and he will show you Ax sometimes too, as well as xx.
Also, you are allowed to river a king or queen from time to time.

Lori
Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 PM

I'm with the others on this one, but maybe less harsh...

I wouldn't kick myself it just looks like you should.

Looking over my last post. I think I'm aggreeing with all the other people posts and want to revise tha I think 70%-80% the guy has a lower PP than you and he is trying to take it away.

With that said...I think that if I paused to think about it, I would fold because I think there are better places to put my money in with alla Helmuth-style...Does that make me a bad person? Weak-Tight maybe...

With that also being said...I think my instincts in the moment would take over and I would call and win.

-Gryph
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 PM

I think there are better places to put my money in with alla Helmuth-style

Just because the cards are already dealt, it doesn't change the % chance based on what you know.
You can't hope for a much better spot than "70-80%"

Lori
Old 01-10-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also later in the tournament he held to his TTP style as I had stolen his blind more than once with some aggressive bets, eventually he was blinded out of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this happening, it actually becomes more likely to place his hand. He probably did have a 5 or more likely A6 figuring you'd be drawing to your Ace kicker in order to win.

Sounds like he was weak - anyone who lets themselves be blinded out before picking a hand to take to the river is weak. Weak players would fail to understand how to extract value.

If he had 66 or 56 or a lone 5, you have to pay him off.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM

I did not fold this, I called.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:47 PM

You should have called.