Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Uh... get your Phil Laak card protector

Well, the joke is, those two little hair patches he has on either side of his head...someone made a comment that he looks like Hawk from WCW's/WWF's The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is no different -- licensed products made so people who have a favorite in whatever field can showcase it, whether it is Some Football Guy, Some Basketball Guy, or Some Poker Guy.

It's all the same.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Maker of Cards for Lots of Some Wrestling Guys

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is very different. Very, very different.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:33 PM

How so?

I'd argue millions are watching poker now and showing an interest throughout the world ... were you this shocked when, I don't know, they made Babylon 5 action figures?

or Dukes of Hazzard lunch boxes?

or whatever?

I'm CONSTANTLY on the look out for quality licenses that could be utilized for games, be them collectible card games or board games -- so are a number of other people involved in the licensing industry, whether they make whatever kind of product.

Someone who obviously makes molds of some type has contacted the four people in question, offered them most likely around 10% of the proceeds, and took casts of them, and are now selling them, using the following generic logic:

Production Cost + Advertising + Time Invested + Royalties spent will be less than X units they can sell at Y dollars / unit.

If it costs them, I don't know, $3000 to make 1000 of these and they sell 500 at $15 a clip, they're still going to end up making money even after paying Gus a random $750 royalty.

ODD business, sure, but not THAT odd.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com