Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Take a break from school?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say suck it up (no offense) and get some sort of business degree. You can get any job you want with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant get any job with that. You really think its worth spending a year and a half of my time (and money)on a degree I dont want, that will likely force me to get a job that I dont want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, as an fyi, unless the field you are going into is extremely difficult to get into, *any* degree will suffice. I work with a guy (I'm in I/T) who has a degree in Forestry.

It helps, but mainly the people in charge only care about the degree as it pertains to your ability to show commitment and discipline in getting through school.

that being said, I kinda think if you take time off you may never finish. Figure out what you enjoy doing and move forward in that career. (I need to take that advice myself)
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
m on a break from school also

[/ QUOTE ]

what negatives has it had?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:21 PM

In most cases an undergrad degree doesn't mean chit anyways. Who cares what your major is? Just get the damn thing done. After that you can take time off or whatever. If you really find something that interests you after a few years from school then you can go back to grad school.

My experience:
I took 3 years off between my sophomore and Junior years. It was without a doubt the best 3 years of my life but I do believe it hurt me a bit in terms of earning potential. I partially made up for this my getting an MS in one year.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM

I was under the impression that I have health insurance now because I am a full time student, but that if I take the semester off Ill have to pay for it. Is this correct?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say suck it up (no offense) and get some sort of business degree. You can get any job you want with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant get any job with that. You really think its worth spending a year and a half of my time (and money)on a degree I dont want, that will likely force me to get a job that I dont want?

[/ QUOTE ] No its not worth it. Get a degree in whatever intrests you. I have friends that got a Business degree from UW and the were basically SOL in regards to finding jobs.

As for health insurance, Sponger asked the same question a few months ago. If I am not mistaken, you should still be on your parents plan until you are either done with school or you turn 23(and still live with them). I don't think taking a semester off will matter, as they are not likely to notice. I took a quarter off twice and my parents health insurance didn't notice.

Also, why not take one class? That way you are still in school, you can still play lots of poker, and still work torwards your degree? Believe me man, there is a reason I have been going to CC for three years, so I know what your dealing with.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Mark...

You really think its worth spending a year and a half of my time (and money)on a degree I dont want, that will likely force me to get a job that I dont want?

N0. Figure out what you want to do. I will be graduating next semester with 2 degrees, neither of which I plan on using. I would like to start and run businesses. If I could do it over again, I would have went to an Entreprenuerial Institute for like a year or two and some business training programs or whatever they have out there. I would have learned a lot more, and wouldn't have spent money towards an education that at times I feel was a waste of money. Don't do a major because someone says, just do it so you can get a job. That's what people do who want to just make their way through life. Find out what you want, and then pursue it.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that I have health insurance now because I am a full time student, but that if I take the semester off Ill have to pay for it. Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]are you a hypocondriac(sp)? whats the worry?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 PM

At your age you shouldn't worry about health insurance. If you get super fcked up and have to go the hospital you just declare bankruptcy. What exactly do you do that will require health insurance? I assume that your mostly gonna play poker all day. Even on the off chance that you sprain an ankle playing Ultimate it is still cheaper not to have the health insurance. This advice was given to my by an insurance agent when I was 21 years old skiing 100 days a year.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:33 PM

yeah youre probably right, i dont know why that was such an issue in my mind. i do pretty much just sit here all day [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 02:34 PM

If you're going to take only a semester off just gamble that you won't get something horrible and live without health insurance. Also, if this insurance is covered by one of your parents' policies, the insurer will likely have no idea that you're not in school as the proof has already been submitted to them.

-Michael