Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: One of the biggest 5/10 pots i\'ve seen.

3 betting pre-flop is a mistake. It gives all those fish the odds to chase you down all the way.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting pre-flop is a mistake. It gives all those fish the odds to chase you down all the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

am I getting to old to recognize sarcasm these days?
Old 01-08-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think slowplaying KK would be +EV. A PFR in this position knocks almost no one out and as mentioned above, increases immediate pot odds for chasers. However, you'd have to bet out on the flop to make chasers fold with a threatening board like that. I think you're usually ahead the whole way with KK, and you'll get paid off with the implied odds of turn/river bets (and a turn-CR for randomization).

I think your position on this play is weak and there's little else you could do. You had little chance of knocking off chasers and you'll profit every time they miss, even though they had the odds to chase.

Thus is the end of my incoherent, late-night rambling.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think slowplaying KK would be +EV. A PFR in this position knocks almost no one out and as mentioned above, increases immediate pot odds for chasers. However, you'd have to bet out on the flop to make chasers fold with a threatening board like that. I think you're usually ahead the whole way with KK, and you'll get paid off with the implied odds of turn/river bets (and a turn-CR for randomization).

I think your position on this play is weak and there's little else you could do. You had little chance of knocking off chasers and you'll profit every time they miss, even though they had the odds to chase.

Thus is the end of my incoherent, late-night rambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not 3-betting preflop is badbadbadbadbadbadpoker. Badpoker. Seriously. It's 6-way; you're losing way way way tooo much by not 3-betting here.

Rob
Old 01-08-2005, 02:02 AM

Ugh.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:06 AM

Little known fact: raising can actually be used to do more than just knock people out. Some people consider it a great strategy to put more money in the pot with the best hand! Ah, poker is a strange game, but it's true. This esoteric concept of "raising for value" can be found in such obscure texts as "The Theory of Poker" and is a corollary of such a thing as "The Fundamental Theorem of Poker"...

Crazy huh?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 AM

Irony and sarcasm, two good things.
-aron
Old 01-08-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not 3-betting preflop is badbadbadbadbadbadpoker. Badpoker. Seriously. It's 6-way; you're losing way way way tooo much by not 3-betting here.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I should have stated that my previous post was an alternative play and not something I normally do. +EV, but not as much as 3-bet PF.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Little known fact: raising can actually be used to do more than just knock people out. Some people consider it a great strategy to put more money in the pot with the best hand! Ah, poker is a strange game, but it's true. This esoteric concept of "raising for value" can be found in such obscure texts as "The Theory of Poker" and is a corollary of such a thing as "The Fundamental Theorem of Poker"...

Crazy huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

These obscure texts you speak of such as "The Theory of Poker" also have entire chapters on the free card. I'll take it from your sarcasm that you're not here to contribute to the hand analysis and I'll leave it at that.

Given the players at hand, I would play the hand as it was played above. But at the average table, I'd be a little more deceptive.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:23 PM

Its really hard to do anything preflop with KK in a limit game that isn't +EV (unless you do the unthinkable, and even then its EV is 0). But poker's all about what you spend a bunch of your time doing in basic-level calculus- maximizing.