Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Diagnose Granny\'s Hardware (ISO nerdy boys)

If you're running win2k or winXP you can press cntrl+alt+delete and look at the "performance" and "processes" tabs to see where the bottle neck is. If it's CPU, time for a new box. If you're out of RAM or are using a lot of "Virtual Memory" then there's your problem.

Try different situations, as one poster suggested pokertracker can slow stuff down once the DB gets big. Try having all but one "normal" program open and then go for your shutdown procedure, rinse repeat.

Get spybot and ad-aware. Both free, both good.

good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Given all that has been said, why are people so quick to recommend a new computer?

I think you pointed out the RAM issue. It's much cheaper to buy a $50 stick of RAM than a new computer.

No need to take the easy way out by buying a new computer.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM

I didn't advise a new computer. I advise a processor upgrade. I don't think a ram upgrade will cut it for shut down, this is mainly a processor issue. If Granny isn't currently runnin a P4 then it is advisable to buy a whole new P4 system, it's just too expensive to up grade TO P4. If he already has P4, it's simple to ungrade the processor.

outs
Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given all that has been said, why are people so quick to recommend a new computer?

I think you pointed out the RAM issue. It's much cheaper to buy a $50 stick of RAM than a new computer.

No need to take the easy way out by buying a new computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said if over 3 years old
Old 01-06-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't advise a new computer. I advise a processor upgrade. I don't think a ram upgrade will cut it for shut down, this is mainly a processor issue. If Granny isn't currently runnin a P4 then it is advisable to buy a whole new P4 system, it's just too expensive to up grade TO P4. If he already has P4, it's simple to ungrade the processor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. I don't think this is a processor issue at all. I'm sure it's not helping, but I doubt it's the main culprit.

I'm running a 1300 mhz processor.
I do not have ANY of these problems. My startups/shutdowns are lightning fast and I have no "thrashing" issues The processor is not the bottleneck in this case, IMHO.

Btw, I have a lot of experience dealing with and diagnosing computers. It's been one of my various occupations.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Ahh cool, maybe is RAM then.

At least we agree a new system isn't necessary! (in this case anyway)

outs
Old 01-06-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh cool, maybe is RAM then.

At least we agree a new system isn't necessary! (in this case anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to be rude about it, because I agree that a new processor is never a bad thing. Problem is, often times you will have to upgrade the mobo as well. This often leads to a need for a new case, and after that the average person would have been better off just buying a new computer to begin with.

But yeah, I have no doubts that a new processor would help. But it's a much harder upgrade to accomplish for the average Granny.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 PM

The reason I recommend a new computer is because;

1) The cost of upgrades (unless you can do them yourself) in relationship to purchasing a new computer generally favors a new computer. It is a matter of bang for your buck. A new computer can probably last a few years for a few hundred dollars. An upgrade may only last another year.

2) Upgrading is problematic. It may not solve the problem and the cost will be lost. It may in fact cause new problems.

3) There is a question of what to upgrade. Bottlenecks can be anywhere. Disk seek time. Bus speed. Ram read/write access speed. Size of RAM. Appropriateness of software (Grannies' new spyware software) with the underlying operating system (the new software may be overwhelming the capabilities of an older operating system). So what to upgrade and for how much.

At the end, I think the overall investment will be less with a new computer with a longer potential lifespan. People who like to work on computers, of course, have a different model. From what I can tell, Grannie is not a computer junkie. I can do all these things, and I don't because it is a pain.

Rich
Old 01-06-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the end, I think the overall investment will be less with a new computer with a longer potential lifespan. People who like to work on computers, of course, have a different model. From what I can tell, Grannie is not a computer junkie. I can do all these things, and I don't because it is a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 RAM is easy to install. *click* You're done.

The overall investment of a new computer is NOT cost effective in most cases. Almost always it is cheaper to buy upgrades. This is especially true because of your own ability to buy quality parts.

Higher quality parts at a cheaper price vs. Standard parts at a slightly inflated price.

I'll let someone else elaborate.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM

Granny its time to remove the training wheels

honestly, it really is not that i have any love for AOL. it is because i have had these same email addys for 9 years and i have businesses integrated with the addys. not only that, but the contact info at at least 100 places would need to be updated and i still would probably miss some.

i think AOL is a resource whore for me. i have the spyware programs that others have mentioned and run them daily. my machine is clean.

also mentioned, and my greatest concern, is loss of data. if this is a risk, i will simply get a new machine. i know PC's don't last forever.

however, i will try and defrag and will look into incresing my RAM. i currently have only 256. i was trying to figure out if this was a RAM issue or an inevitable death of the computer issue. seems like both.

thanks everyone for your feedback