Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!! (OT)

if you can, take a class in discrete math.

it's a variety of different stuff - some number theory, graph theory, probability - basically the point of the class is to learn how to write a proper mathematical proof. for a philo person, i would think this would be interesting.

if your school requires you to take linear algebra in order to take discrete (mine didn't, but might vary by school), avoid it. linear alg is incredibly boring and involves a lot of arithmetic. i'm not kidding.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM

I just graduated last may and got serious about poker senior year. It sounds like you're good at math, hate calculus (like me), like money, but also like english, film, and philosophy, but are worried about practical applications. I'm pretty much the same way and ended up majoring in economics. I went to a small liberal arts school, so there was no stats or business majors, or anything like that. However, the stats I took for econ were pretty cool, and directly applicable to poker. There's no calculus or anything else obscure, so don't worry about that. Econ is also sweet because there's a lot of variety in what you can take, and its a social science, so a lot of it is essentially behavioral study. If you're good at math, you'll be fine.

If you have no idea what you want to do, thats fine. Sophomore year, I was way more concerned with the subtleties of various types of the entire Captain Morgan lineup than I was with my career. But an econ major can open doors because you do learn important stuff about business cycles and trade and all that. The job search is painful enough as it is, I'm glad I had econ, because as stupid as it is.

The type of learning, at least for me, was almost all conceptual, with very little memorizing and regurgitating. Math isn't my best, but I can do it well with practice, but it sounds like you have a better math mind than I do, in which you could be fine without much work. Of course if nothing about the economy, interest rates, or business is of any interest to you, than don't bother. But poker players generally like money and learning about it, so you might have fun. The most important thing is to major in what you enjoy, and the success will generally follow.

I'm bored at work today and am happy to discuss this with you further, so pm if you get a chance.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a math guy but can't do calculus? I have news for you. You aren't a math guy. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I can't do calculus. I just really don't like it. It's seems rediculously tedious to me, and it requires a lot of work.

I don't like to bust out the 'I got an 800 on the math SAT,' but I did, and I felt that the above statement was a bit condescending. Maybe I just took it that way.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't really want to work, but you want to have a major which isn't useless. You can't have both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that there's a sliding scale of usefullness and work required. I'm looking for a major that is a reasonable balance between the two.

I guess on some level I've always hoped that you can have both. My friend who's a lawyer thinks that I can major in philosophy and get through law school without too much work. That's my plan for the time being.

ALSO, a major that is hard work but interesting to me would be great. I must be interested in something difficult, right? I'm interested in poker.

Thanks for the response.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can, take a class in discrete math.

it's a variety of different stuff - some number theory, graph theory, probability - basically the point of the class is to learn how to write a proper mathematical proof. for a philo person, i would think this would be interesting.

if your school requires you to take linear algebra in order to take discrete (mine didn't, but might vary by school), avoid it. linear alg is incredibly boring and involves a lot of arithmetic. i'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks... Sounds interesting. It looks like intro to discrete mathematics if full for the coming semester, but I'll talk to the professor.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the post. I PM'd you.

I just looked at the intro Econ courses for next semester. Latest one is 9:30 AM [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I'll definitely think about it though.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 12:23 PM

You might consider taking some time off of college. You could work and travel and such and play poker and when you came back you might be more interested in school. It is silly to pay people to teach you stuff when you aren't interested in listening. (of course you may be having so much fun or parents paying or whatever that it is worth it just to go)

I was about where you are at your age. I settled on a Math and English double major.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are a math guy but can't do calculus? I have news for you. You aren't a math guy. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I can't do calculus. I just really don't like it. It's seems rediculously tedious to me, and it requires a lot of work.

I don't like to bust out the 'I got an 800 on the math SAT,' but I did, and I felt that the above statement was a bit condescending. Maybe I just took it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bit of slap, but re-read your post. It's a series of contradictions that scream "unrealistic dreamer."

Paraphase: "I want something for nothing."

Congrats on your 800, but SAT math is pretty trivial. Your score does indicate aptitude for high school level math, but high school level math isn't college level math.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You don't really want to work, but you want to have a major which isn't useless. You can't have both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that there's a sliding scale of usefullness and work required. I'm looking for a major that is a reasonable balance between the two.

I guess on some level I've always hoped that you can have both. My friend who's a lawyer thinks that I can major in philosophy and get through law school without too much work. That's my plan for the time being.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a pretty strong inverse correlation, IMO.

I think a person who doesn't want to work should not pursue a career in law. That's bigtime work. Long hours, competitive environment, and most lawyers I know don't like their jobs. That seems to whiff on your criteria.

What about economics? There is a mathematical side to economics that might interest you, and also prepare you for a lucrative career in finance.

eastbay
Old 01-06-2005, 12:28 PM

eI would also recommend Econ. I always fancied myself as a Math/Science guy, as that was what I excelled at in HS. Once I got to college, I realized that there are a ton of smarter people out there who kicked my ass in Math and Physics, so I switched my intended major of Comp Sci over to Econ.

Like another said, unless you pick a technical field (engineering/hard science) it doesn't matter too much once you graduate. An econ degree looks great on a resume if you want to get a "white-collar" type job. But if your goal is to go to law school, then I'd just pick classes/major that interest you the most.

Among the econ classes that interested me the most:
Game Theory
Money & Financial Markets (the real high-stakes gambling)
Political Economy of Latin America (get a dose of history too)
Economics and the Law (learn about the Harry Hand case [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

My school had a liberal "drop" policy. You could drop a class 10 weeks into the 15 week semester. I'd sign up for 5-7 classes that sounded cool and stick with the 4 or 5 that actually were. If your school has a similar policy, take advantage of it. I always found it difficult to do well in a class unless it held my interest - you are paying a lot for your education, get the most out of it by taking classes you are generally interested in and you will learn a lot more.

To sum up, take classes that interest you the most, and don't study so hard or play so much poker that you foget to get laid. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] These are the best years of your life. Get your purity score down under 20.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the path to become a philosophy major, which is interesting and all, but not so useful in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Philosophy has this reputation, but it is largely unfounded.

Many of the most successful people I know were philosophy graduates. It is very good pre-professional training (especially for law) and it cultivates problem solving skills.

The trick is to have a direction that you want your philosophy degree to take you. Law is a good choice (if you want to use your powers for evil [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) but there are others. The important thing is to load up on supplemental courses that will take you in the direction that you want.

Don't listen to anybody who thinks philosophy is useless in the real world, because they do not know, and would probably be surprised by all the high level executives, lawyers, doctors, politicians, gov't officials, and real estate agents who are philosophy grads. The list goes on, trust me. Lets not forget about pro poker players.

One final thought. Philosophy education devoid of mathematics is an impoverished dicipline.

Regards
Brad S
Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(of course you may be having so much fun or parents paying or whatever that it is worth it just to go)

[/ QUOTE ]

Having Fun : yup
Parents Paying: yup

I don't wanna waste my parents money, but I feel like taking time off would be difficult. I already have a bunch of friends at school and lots of other activities to do.

The other thing is that I don't think my parents would be for taking time off. I don't know if they would pay when I went back.

Also, I don't want to get a job, and I don't like to travel.

I could take time off and play poker and maybe pick up another hobby, but I don't see how I'm gonna suddenly become interested in school if I do that.

What exactly do you think I'm going to get out of taking time off?

Thanks.

-Jman28