Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth: \"No!\"

The one thing about Hellmuth is he knows his weaknesses...and accordingly doesnt sit in the largest games in the world where he can do serious damage to his roll by steaming like a madman. Actually he is probably richer now than ever with his books raking in tremendous sales and a lucrative partnership with UB and DVDs...love him or hate him he is a fairly shrewd businessman from what I can see and seems to manage his money quite capriciously .
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Phil should be bragging about how his fake bluff drew in a guy with a worse hand -- shees [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-06-2005, 02:14 PM

If Hellmuth had been beaten by a two outer, one away from the final table in 2003, he might have just crapped himself and passed out, only after screaming "You are going to hell for that, Moneymaker!" Ivey just shrugged, went off, and probably made back his buy in and then some beating up all the other steaming tourney players.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to get picky, ok wait, I'll be honest, I am getting picky, but Moneymaker had 7 outs on that hand against Ivey. Still point taken...
Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 PM

did he really say that he was trying to turn himself "white"?

yes, I'm quite sure he said it. Twice, in fact.

Phil...we saw the montage of you standing in the sun without your shirt, and trust us, you don't need to be any whiter.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:45 PM

Phil is far from my favorite player on TV and is obviously a better player than I will ever be, or most of us will ever be. That all said, I can understand being frustrated by a bad beat -- it is annoying -- but, at the end of the day, aren't we all paid off by people playing for their bad beat and just dumping chips for no reason?

Example. I get AK, raise, someone calls, Ace hits, I bet and he calls all the way down and I show AK and he has AJ or A10 and says how my kicker is better. Terrific. Yay! This happens X times and, sure, Y times "the villain" will get his second pair and randomly raise out of nowhere. But, if you're playing tight and proper cards, X &gt; Y.

Without the Y ... bad people would never get paid off and it would be left to all the average people (and the few good ones).

In short: bad beats are good beats. In a way.

They still stink, though.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, note that he usually busts out of a tourney with the best hand preflop. Gotta suck to continually be beaten like that with big money on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that phil is somehow unluckier than other people?

Anyone who wants to can usually bust out of tournaments with the best hand preflop. It's not hard.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:23 PM

The thing is though, that after being a professional for X years, those X amount of times you get beat should be dirt off the shoulders as far as I'm concerned. I've been playing for 2 years and I don't care anymore about those beats.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:35 PM

Agreed -- I don't agree with how he handled it, and I'm amazed he doesn't handle it better.

Granted, I've been playing seriously for a little over two years and I wish that bad beats didn't get to me -- I usually at least have the good sense to keep my mouth shut, get off the table for ten minutes, and walk about Foxwoods until I get back together.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-06-2005, 05:45 PM

One of his finest TV moments was in the 1996 US Poker CHampionships.

If you get ESPN Classic, try to catch it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hellmuth had been beaten by a two outer, one away from the final table in 2003, he might have just crapped himself and passed out, only after screaming "You are going to hell for that, Moneymaker!" Ivey just shrugged, went off, and probably made back his buy in and then some beating up all the other steaming tourney players.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to get picky, ok wait, I'll be honest, I am getting picky, but Moneymaker had 7 outs on that hand against Ivey. Still point taken...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ivey's the one who hit the two outer.. moneymaker then hit a re-suck but with more outs.

Hellmuth DID lose to a two-outer very late in that tourney to Jason Lester. It didn't elimiante him but crippled his stack, he went out soon after.