Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Strange step 5 hand with Gigabet

I'm going to go ahead and guess misclick on this one (PF). If this player raised to 125 at 10/15 with 22, and pushed on a K-K-6 flop, I'd be happy to call raises/go to war with some borderline holdings, but....65o, I don't see the logic (at least based on this one hand alone).

Now, if this player does this pretty much EVERY hand (overraises just about any two cards, then gets all-in on the flop regardless of whether the flop hit him or not), then I can see making this play. But that's a very, very extreme case.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to post this hand in one month as if I had played it, and let's see how badly i get slammed.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. There was a hand I was going to post but apparently my datamining missed it. It went something like this, though:

Gigabet raises in EP very early in a Step 5. Some guy just behind him immediately reraises pretty big. Folded around and Gigabet calls.

The flop comes 9 high rags. Gigabet checks. The other guy bets the standard 2/3 pot or so. Gigabet thinks *forever*, says 'well, it's only a thousand dollars', and CR's all in with A9o.

He's a great player and I've defended him in other threads, but some of those plays are either 'for information' or downright LAGgy.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to post this hand in one month as if I had played it, and let's see how badly i get slammed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you called it exactly.

They guy's obviously a great player but I can't see defending his play in this spot with 56o. My guess? The guy wins a ton of money, and so every now and then takes a flyer on a low percentage hand just for the hell of it, or to portray a LAG image that might help in future games.

Either that, or he was convinced that his opponent had something like AQ or AJ, which would put his pair of sixes in the lead after the flop. And let's not forget that in this case he was RIGHT - he WAS in the lead at the time he went all-in - so his read was, in fact, dead-on. Only the 2 on the river sunk him.

But still, to me it seems like a loose call that a lesser player would get slammed for on this board. Even if you agree with calling all-in after the flop, the pre-flop call was shaky.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM

I'm intrigued why this:

"My guess?The guy wins a ton of money, and so every now and then takes a flyer on a low percentage hand just for the hell of it, or to portray a LAG image that might help in future games."

comes before this:

"Either that, or he was convinced that his opponent had something like AQ or AJ, which would put his pair of sixes in the lead after the flop. But to me it seems like a loose call that a lesser player would get slammed for on this board."

come on, the guy's got copious notes on the other regulars in the high buyin games, and we know he's not an idiot. which then becomes more likely a $1065 image play, or a good call against a known idiot?

citanul

edit: i clearly have no real good explaination for preflop call.
i know that he has said he likes to make calls in position against players he feels he owns, but this may be pushing the envelope on that idea. now if it was soooooted...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, even some of the top players. Preflop call is clearly a mistake but calling on the flop is right against most players since it could only be a weak hand againts most players.

I think most likely he misclicked preflop and meant to fold. I guess theres some chance he really thinks hes that "good".

-Ezcheeze
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 PM

Dont worry ,this hand is anything but standard, and anyone who says differently is full of %$#^%
Old 01-05-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone makes mistakes once in a while, even some of the top players. Preflop call is clearly a mistake but calling on the flop is right against most players since it could only be a weak hand againts most players.

I think most likely he misclicked preflop and meant to fold. I guess theres some chance he really thinks hes that "good".

-Ezcheeze

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says the preflop call is a mistake, you? He also called all in as a favorite in the hand. Just because some weak players would toss this here doesn't mean everyone should.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Likely true, but same can be said for MANY hands top players play; in the hands of the uninitiated, it's dangerous.

Kinda like if someone said they're gonna put a new engine in their car by themselves. Good for them, but if I did it, it'd be a disaster.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They guy's obviously a great player but I can't see defending his play in this spot with 56o. My guess? The guy wins a ton of money, and so every now and then takes a flyer on a low percentage hand just for the hell of it, or to portray a LAG image that might help in future games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are far more right than you know here....
Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 PM

The cards he's holding don't make much of a difference if he's confident that he can get his opponent to fold before showdown. He may even be planning on showing his 56o as he collects his chips. What would be interesting is to see what his strategy would have been if he had not hit his flop and the opponent would have done something other than an all-in.

Of course once the flop came down KK6 and the all-in bet was made, calling, although risky, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.