Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Playing SNG tables a good idea?

Ya, you're right. Ring games are also horrible. 10 players at a table where on average everyone wins the pot 1/10 of the time less the house rake means that everyone loses, except the house.

Why do we even play poker?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Your ROI will improve once you start to . . .

pay 10% rake instead of 20%. No reason EVER to play a 5+1.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Your ROI will improve once you start to . . .

[ QUOTE ]
pay 10% rake instead of 20%. No reason EVER to play a 5+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really just starting this out, and the $5+1 did seem to be an expensive rake. But I've played 3, and won all 3.

Tell you the truth I've been nervious about moving up to the next higher SnG's. I think I can beat them, but scared of the variance and losing a bunch.

I also play limit ring games at .25/.50 right now.

KO
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm really just starting this out, and the $5+1 did seem to be an expensive rake. But I've played 3, and won all 3.

Tell you the truth I've been nervious about moving up to the next higher SnG's. I think I can beat them, but scared of the variance and losing a bunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can beat the 5s, you can beat the 10s. You'll need about a $300 bankroll.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:04 PM

doesn't ub offere 5+.5s? i thought paradise did too?

unless you are really actually hard up for cash, there truthfully is nothing to be gained from playing the 5s, since the 10s are just as good.

citanul
Old 01-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Only if you like money

[ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons SNGs are profitable is the rake structure. Consider a winning 50+5 player. Single tabling, he wins $15-20 an hour, and pays $5 per hour rake.

In order to win that much per hour in an online ring game, you need to play at least $5-10, which at $3 rake x 60 hands/hour divided by 10 seats or $18/hour rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to nit-pick, but since you calculate your hourly earn AFTER the rake, it doesn't matter to you what the rake is. It only matters what your earn is. There's no difference between paying $18/hr rake and $5/hr rake as long as you are still making $15/hr.

The compelling reason to play SNGs for $15/hr instead of ring games for $15/hr is that your variance will be much lower playing SNGs.

The PartyPoker SNG payout structure defines a standard deviation of around 2.5-3 buy-ins per SNG, whereas most winning ring game players have SDs in the neighborhood of 30BBs per 100 hands. So a 5/10 ring game player who earns 2BB/100 will have a SD of around $300/Hr, whereas the $55 SNG player will have a SD of around $150/hr.

Irieguy
Old 01-04-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons SNGs are profitable is the rake structure. Consider a winning 50+5 player. Single tabling, he wins $15-20 an hour, and pays $5 per hour rake.

In order to win that much per hour in an online ring game, you need to play at least $5-10, which at $3 rake x 60 hands/hour divided by 10 seats or $18/hour rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to nit-pick, but since you calculate your hourly earn AFTER the rake, it doesn't matter to you what the rake is. It only matters what your earn is. There's no difference between paying $18/hr rake and $5/hr rake as long as you are still making $15/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheaper to make $15 per hour playing SNGs. I think that matters alot. Means you need less bankroll. And it plays into the lower variance.

Flipside, paying $18 an hour rake in SNGs ought to allow a good player to earn a lot more than the best players at the 5-10 limit ring game.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Playing SNG tables a good idea?

Just posing a question. I place in the money over 40% of the time as well. I would say that if 9 of you guys that say you all make money playing SNG games sat down at a table unknowingly together then you would not be getting sufficient odds since you justify playing the SNG tables because you are clearly better than atleast 6 of the other players. But I realize that will seldom if ever happen. Some of you guys remind me of the "office computer repair guy" from that Saturday Night Live skit that Jimmy Falon did, with your bad people skills, cool out Poker Nazis, it will be ok.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can beat the 5s, you can beat the 10s. You'll need about a $300 bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm at $240 right now.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Up from $50+bonus.

I also need $300 to move up to .50/$1, too... that's $600! heh.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

KO
Old 01-04-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The PartyPoker SNG payout structure defines a standard deviation of around 2.5-3 buy-ins per SNG

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct about everything except I think even these numbers are a bit high. I think that most winning SNG players will only have a SD of about 1.7 Buy-ins.

Of course this only strengthens the point that you are making.

Regards
Brad S