Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: My new favorite play (loose 5-5 NL)

they only have NL and some tourneys. They run 1/2 250 max buy in and 5/5 500 max buy in. By 3:30am there are usually 3-4 guys with 1500+ and by 6:00 it seems that two of them are knocked out and there are two guys with 2,000+. I have no doubt you will be one of those two and thats when the game gets real fun. If youre playing in that game though keep in mind this post. They all want to sniff out that bluff, OVERBET!

It seems my thread has been hijacked, Time to go to sleep now (i guess thats what happens when you play until closing time...)
Old 01-04-2005, 01:35 PM

Default thoughts on overbetting

I think overbetting is a great strategy in NL games like you described. but, that kind of overbetting is a lot different from what spirit rock's strategy seems to be, which is a far more balanced strategy since he is playing against good players and must bluff a good % of the time with these overbets. in the games you describe, you almost never have to bluff allin laying worse than 2:1 for balancing purposes, mostly because play balancing is just unecessary.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-04-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3 limpers to me on the button with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I raise to $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but why are you raising limpers out of the pot with a drawing hand. You want them in case the flops hit you hard, you need hands to pay you off. I dont understand trying to isolate with 69 suited. Maybe you had a reason i'm not thinking of?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:29 PM

This overbetting strategy works well in online games as well - even 5/10 (although you better splash some chips around once in a while to get more calls).

Spirit rock also seems to make overbets with mediocre hands that may be good - some type of 2-way bet... I need to learn when to do that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 03:32 PM

For safety, call a car service b/f you leave if it is the middle of the night.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm sorry that I am not commenting on your strategy, but you are wise to divide the money up between different pockets. Even though you are pretty safe in most parts of Manhattan, it is wise to be careful. I usually bring about a thousand to the PS club in 14th st, which is pretty safe because it's always busy in that neighborhood.

By the way, I wonder if any of us have played together.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:18 PM

If you're going to carry around $1000 or more I highly suggest a money belt or one of those tourist tie-around-your-neck thing. Keep a wallet with a hundred or so in it just in case you get robbed.

Or be fossilman and beat the guys up and chase them into the night.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I wonder if any of us have played together.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's not a huge player pool for the PS 5-5, so I'm sure we have. I have a short list of suspected 2+2ers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. not that many though, and that doesn't include the toughest player in that game.

--turnipmonster
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 PM

I played in the PClub 5-5 once this past week (and their 1-2 while I was waiting). The level of play in the 1-2 game was atrocious. The 5-5 players were much better, but it is beatable. Their was only one horrible player at the 5-5 table. Some others were pretty weak, and there were a few solid players.

Any opinions on which places have the weakest 5-5? I have only played at PC and only been there twice (first time was a long time back and they only had 1-2 that day).

Yes, this thread is officially hijacked.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played in the PClub 5-5 once this past week (and their 1-2 while I was waiting). The level of play in the 1-2 game was atrocious. The 5-5 players were much better, but it is beatable. Their was only one horrible player at the 5-5 table. Some others were pretty weak, and there were a few solid players.

Any opinions on which places have the weakest 5-5? I have only played at PC and only been there twice (first time was a long time back and they only had 1-2 that day).

Yes, this thread is officially hijacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that the thread has turned completely to no-limit games in NYC... I play regularly in both the 1/2 and 5/5 games at NYPC. There are definitely a few very good players at the club, but in general I find the 5/5 game very beatable (and more enjoyable than the 1/2 game). I have played at APC less frequently -- but from my experience the 5/5 players there are worse than the 1/2 players.