Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: move up to 1/2 for bonus clearing?

I have to preface this with the fact that I agree with most of the other posters....moving up too early is not a good idea!

I would suggest making a partial move to 1/2, such as playing one table at your current level, and one at 1/2 if you are 2 tabling. Bring a shorter stack(not too short) to the table, such as 25 dollars to the 1/2 table. You may find that your game is better suited for the 1/2 limit. If once you have played a session or 2 at that limit, you are either losing or even but not feeling confident, move back down. You will have cleared some bonus without much of a hit to your bankroll.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:44 AM

Give the 6 max NL a try. It's full of monkeys.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:40 PM

I don't know what you should do, but here's my experience. I'm new to poker (a couple of months), but when I started whoring I found I had to move up to 1/2. Here are the reasons......when I moved to the crypto sites there were no .50/1 tables, which scared me half to death to start, which showed in my play since my bankroll was only about $200. When I got comfortable with the higher $ aspect of it though I started winning.

When I went to TGC I moved back to .50/1 and let out a deep breath I had been holding for days. However, when I started playing I found the games moved very slowly and only about 50% of the hands were raked, so I quickly moved back to 1/2.

Now I play almost exclusively at 1/2 and have started to double table (crypto) and I'm winning. I've found that most of the 1/2 games are Tight/Passive which means alot of folding to a TAG.

Oh yeah, in three weeks my bankroll has moved from $200 to $1300. Not alot of money, but a fair amount of breathing room.

Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 01:02 PM

It really depends on what kind of shape your game is in. It sounds to me like you are just barely beating a level that you might want to have a tad more success at before moving up. Not because there is a whole lot of difference between .50/1 and 1/2 - you'll just have higher variance. And higher variance can often lead to tilt for a player at a new level.

Make sure you have PokerTracker (sounds like you already do) so that you can make solid analysis of your game. GameTime+ also helps - particularly in determining the juicy tables on the Party network.

Just speaking from personal experience, I had the toughest time with the variance - trying to "make up" losses all in one session. Stay rock solid on your starting hand requirements and you'll probably be okay.