Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: And so does this thread

"It really doesn't matter who wins what bowl games or whatever"

Ask the kids on Utah and Auburn if it doesn't matter that from day 1 this season they never had a chance to win the championship. I'd bet they disagree with you.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: college football blows

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I used to rank college football among my favorite 2-3 sports, now I basically don't care at all. The BCS has created the worst of both worlds - an unsatisfactory and corrupt playoff that is incomplete, while trashing the bowl game traditions. Since they will never go backwards with regard to the bowl system, I'm basically stuck not caring until the college presidents extract their heads from their collective asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Absent a playoff system, the BCS is a better alternative than the old system. Under the old system, USC, Oklahoma and Auburn would all be playing in separate bowls.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:44 AM

Yeah I'm not saying I'm for or against the new or old bowl system. To be honest I have no idea how either one of them works. I just think college sports are way overblown. I'm not saying its not a good game with good players either. I just don't like the attention that it gets. Or how commercial it is. I never understood it. Its just college. If your goal is to make pro some day, does it really matter what school you play for? Not really, just impress some scouts and you're in I think. And if you goal isn't to make pro, just play your 4 years or whatever, get your degree, and move on.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I used to rank college football among my favorite 2-3 sports, now I basically don't care at all. The BCS has created the worst of both worlds - an unsatisfactory and corrupt playoff that is incomplete, while trashing the bowl game traditions. Since they will never go backwards with regard to the bowl system, I'm basically stuck not caring until the college presidents extract their heads from their collective asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Absent a playoff system, the BCS is a better alternative than the old system. Under the old system, USC, Oklahoma and Auburn would all be playing in separate bowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's just fine. At least the bowls had some meaning. It mattered that the SEC champion played in the Sugar Bowl. It mattered that the Big 12 champ played in the Orange Bowl. It mattered that the Pac 10 and Big 10 played in the Rose Bowl. There was tradition and pride at stake, both at the school and conference level. Now, it's all irrelevant exhibition games leading up to a tarnished and arbitrarily selected "National Championship Game".

Now it has neither tradition, nor a legitimate championship game. It's just one big joke.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:02 AM

I agree with this.

I am a lifelong duck fan as well as an Oregon alum. In the 2000 season we got screwed out of the national title game, being ranked #2 in both polls at the end of the season. Granted it wasn't as bad as Utah or Auburn ths year because they didn't lose during the season.

Anyway, what burned as bad as not being able to play for the national title was not being able to play in the Rose Bowl because that year it was the national title game. I went to the Rose Bowl on my 15th birthday and it was like a dream come true even though Penn State crushed my ducks. Going to the Rose Bowl was a huge deal back then. This Rose Bowl was won by a Big 12 team that didn't win its conference. That sucks.

The BCS has definately cheapened the bowl experience.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask the kids on Utah and Auburn if it doesn't matter that from day 1 this season they never had a chance to win the championship. I'd bet they disagree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utah is in a tough spot being in the MWC.

Perhaps Auburn needs to quit whining and look inward a bit. If they hadn't played The Citadel, UL-Monroe and La. Tech for their three non-conference games, they'd probably be in Miami right now. Even Bill Snyder would have been ashamed of that non-conference schedule.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]
yup.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:35 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Yeah, but regular season is still cool when the big teams matchup. There's alot of pride in many of those games. I think it's one sport where I enjoy the regular season much more than the post season. Right up to the conference championship games. The bowls are such a joke I don't pay too much attention to them.

Too many bowls, though.

I do agree that it sucks that many teams at the beginning, no matter how good, never get a chance to win the championship. That has always kind of irked me.

Nice to see Utah kick ass. Even though it was against the weakest BCS team, it was still great.

Even with its misgivings, I still love college football.

b
Old 01-02-2005, 08:22 AM

"But every game's like a playoff game. You lose one and you're done."

-Michael
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 AM

BCS sucks. College footballs sucks more than ever. College sports still is better than pro sports because of free agency.