Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Hand To Flame About

What is your reason for the preflop raise ?

Would that terrible EP really check behind on the river ?
Old 01-02-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your reason for the preflop raise ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Primarily for value. People were limping with such awful hands-- things like 23s and T3o-- that I thought I had a good amount of equity here, even though I would usually not be that excited about AJo. No one was limping with AK, AQ or big pairs, so I was almost certainly not dominated given that no one had raised. I also think it's important to mix up the sorts of hands with which you raise from the blinds so as not to be too predictable, but that was less significant here because I had never played with these people before and never will again. I had been playing very tight (as far as they could tell) and had only showed down big hands and this was the first time all night I had raised out of the blinds, so I thought that they would put me on a big hand, which could somewhat offset the fact that building a pot makes it harder to protect my hand on the flop if needed.

[ QUOTE ]
Would that terrible EP really check behind on the river ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. He certainly wasn't sophisticated enough to try to find a value bet with a lighter hand than mine. I don't think he was going to bluff here because I think he had some sort of pair to show down. If he has a smaller pair, which he probably does, my turn bet worried him because he figured I must have him beat, and he isn't going to change that assessment when I check. Instead, he'll breath a sigh of relief and take his free showdown. I thought that EP would also pay off here if I bet because he is a loose player, so I could miss two bets if I check here.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:04 PM

reasons for riverbet i can dig

I am still not convinced about the raise - might be close though - definetely adds to variation...