Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Play this JJJ flop with PartyGirl

Ya one of the problems is you DONT have good postion that HAS TO be part of any analysis with this hand doesnt it??

Again I ask if you get 2 callers (say one infront and one behind) and a rag hits are you gonna bet out again??

I just dont wanna see you get yourself pot commited bc the pot has grown so large to a sizeable bet/raise on the river..
Old 01-03-2005, 07:07 AM

I suspect with two callers I go into check fold territory.
Not sure, depends on who the callers are, and to a much lesser extent, what the turn card is.
I might fire out a small bet and hope to get a free showdown. Might check fold. Probably the latter.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:34 PM

I say raise and raise again if 4th St. is 9 or less and again if 5th St. is 9 or less. Anything less is wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:09 PM

With that stack in those circumstances (but not having any feel for the table) I bet the pot on the flop. As everyone has pointed out, you have the best hand now, and HU would be a nice favorite against two overcards. But not so much against four overcards in a 3way. So if a third of the pot bet will get everyone or all but one out, that's great. But I think people are feeling the bet needs to be higher. When I want to make people question their desire, pot size seems to do the job.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 PM

Betting 1300 into that pot is potentially suicidal IMO. I think 350-450 is an excellent bet if you aren't going to check/fold. It does not give overcards odds to call even if there are 2 callers, it doesn't make you look pot committed and you still have the quad Jack illusion. Whether or not you really do want to bet when facing a possible lock is certainly questionable, though. The quad jacks are of course going to check it and with 6 callers a Jack may well be the card that I would most suspect someone holds as AJ, KJ, QJ, 10Js and J9s are hands many people often call with, though certainly don't raise with..
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 PM

IMO this is a horrible bet and bad rationalization.

You're going to be ahead most of the time here, and you need to make those with overs pay to stick around. I'm betting at least 1K on this flop.

You're mistaken if you think a small bet makes you look like you're holding a jack. Many players will look at that as a scared bet and raise with many worse hands. If you bet out at least 1K, they're not going to try to bluff at you nearly as often, and you're going to take the pot down right there much of the time. And frankly, I'd be happy with taking the pot down right there.

And the probability of the jack being out there is low. Most of the time the LONE jack, if it WAS in someone's hand, has most likely been mucked preflop because it was paired with a card that made it unplayable - something like J7o, or J2, or maybe even a J9 or JTo in EP.

-Scott
Old 01-04-2005, 02:23 AM

Well, you don't need to bet 1,000 for you to be giving overcards poor pot odds:
2 Overcards have 6 outs of making a full on the turn.
There are 47 unknown cards in the deck
6/47 = .127

The pot holds 1300
x/(1300+x) &gt; .127 for you to be giving poor explicit odds
x &gt; 190

Thus, anything over 190 gives the caller poor explicit odds if he does not already have you beat (and the only likely holdings that have you beat are Jx and TT).

By betting significantly more than this you are just committing more chips than you need to the pot and allowing yourself to lose a significant amount of chips, as either a J or a bluff will destroy you.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 AM

Hah, I've gotta revise my answer now due to this hand.

I'm in the $3 rebuy sat for kicks and complete 55 from the SB (3 callers + the BB, 100/200/25 blinds.) The flop is, you guessed it, JJJ, I check, loosie in front bets half the pot, somebody behind calls, I turbofold.

They check the next two streets through and show down K8o and 22. Oooops.

But, I still have no idea what I do after I'm called in 2 spots (which I would be.) Bet again and pray, I guess.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 AM

LAG to my left goes all in, everyone else folds. I have him covered by about 300. He has done the sick overbet all in on drawless board v. me before (K84 rainbow if I remember correct), and I folded. He seems really quite bad.

Perhaps this is a really really really really read based question, but what now?!?!?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:12 PM

1. People call small bets into large pots without calculating the exact odds.

2. You're ignoring implied odds, which are quite significant in a NL situation.

3. What happens if an overcard falls to your 9 on the turn (and u have 2 callers)? If you freeze and check, they might check behind if they missed as well. Now they're getting to see 2 cards for the price of one relatively small bet, hence they're getting much better odds to make the initial call.

4. Don't underestimate people's ability to make a loose call on the flop, which then give the others yet to act proper odds to make the call with two overs because the pot is now bigger due to the caller(s).

5. Bet like ya got got, and take the damn pot down. betting like a puss will get you killed in NL.

-Scott