Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: My Poker Library

The 2004 Conference is a 2 DVD set. I have only seen the first DVD, which has an outstanding presentation by Negreanu on final table MTT play.

Lederer's More Secrets is a good DVD. The others are average.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 AM

Best for NLHE Mult-table tourneys? Harrington on Holdem is the best. Tournament Holdem for Advanced Players is a must read.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 AM

I haven't read all of them cover to cover, but I have read most. I plan to read (or re-read as it were) one per week, cover to cover, in 2005.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM

I have a question about your library...I've read Super System, TOP, and SSHE--I have HEPFAP on the way. I am only a 1/2 LHE player, 2nd month winning at that level (serious poker started early November).

Of all your poker books, what do you recommend for me as being essential at this point? Is it more of a waste to read LLHE, Internet Hold Em, HEP, Sklansky on Poker?

I was thinking of reading HEPFAP, then MLHE by Ciaffone to supplement HEPFAP, then Inside the Poker Mind.

I've read TOP and SSHE over and over, thoroughly and I continue to do so.

Thanks, M
Old 12-30-2004, 11:14 AM

Man, it's nice to know that I'm not the only poker book geek out there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Do you find, like I do, that even the bad books (none from 2+2, or course) help your game?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:47 PM

I finished Poker Nation last night...it was OK. The story about the guy trying to play limit hold'em for a living at $35 an hour was just sad, man.

Anyways, what do you think about:

- 7 Card Stud for Advanced Players
- Hi-Lo Split for Advanced Players
Old 12-30-2004, 01:26 PM

I would recommend Improve Your Poker by Ciaffone. Great complement to Theory of Poker.

In addition, Real Poker: The Play of Hands will teach you what a poker pro thinks about during a hand, although the limits he discusses are 20-40 to 40-80.

And of course, you should definitely read HEPFAP.

As for MLHEP and ITHE, read these later to give yourself a different perspective, as they generally advocate tighter play preflop and more conservative play postflop than HEPFAP or SSHE, which can be useful as you move up in limit and the games get tougher.

Finally, if you have been playing seriously for 6 weeks, you might benefit from Holdem's Odd Book by Mike Petriv, which provides a solid understanding of the math of the game.

For example, I learned from this book that I am 5:1 to flop a straight, 8 out straight draw, 2 pair, 3 of a kind, full house, or 4 of a kind (ie a good flop) with an unsuited 0-gap connector from JT to 54, but 2.9:1 to get the same good flop, plus flop a flush or a 9 out flush draw with those same JT-54 hands suited.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:32 PM

I'll be honest, I was brought up on Hold'em. I don't play much stud. I have not read that book the book cover to cover, but what I have read is good, and I understand the book is the best in the field.

HiLo split is actually 2 books in one. I have read the section on Omaha, and it is very good at a conceptual level. I have not read the section on 7 stud HiLo.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:51 PM

What do you think of "How good is your pot limit hold em" by Ciaffone.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:55 PM

I've got the High-Low Split book. I didn't get much out of the Omaha part because I was pretty good at it already and had a good grasp on most everything he had said, but on the stud part I was pretty much a newbie and it has helped my game.