Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Bots -- recent news on MSNBC Cable

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fear Winholdem about as much as terrorists attacking Wichita, KS.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, no one said to fear Winholdem, although if you take your online poker seriously you should definitely be concerned with the development of this bot and the poker sites countermeasures. No one feared mp3s... then Napster came along...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not an accurate analogy. To the original poster, your first 2 points are way off.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one feared mp3s... then Napster came along

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an analogy to new technology in its infancy and the initial reaction to it. And yes it is valid.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 PM

Everybody not concerned about bots, or still in denial of their existence, should check out the WinHoldEm forum.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one feared mp3s... then Napster came along

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an analogy to new technology in its infancy and the initial reaction to it. And yes it is valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not. The reaction to the technology was a method for sharing the files. Sharing WinHoldEm is not the problem, it is programming the bot itself. Even if PartyPoker came with WinHoldEm, it would have no effect on the game.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes it is valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I found it humorus as well.

No need to say "yes it is" again, btw. You aren't changing anyone's mind.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM

There are a lot of things to consider here

First off it is not very difficult to program a bot that can interact with Poker skin X. "Connecting the nerves" as you say is probably the easiest task at hand. Most programmers would be more concerned with the logic behind creating the bot than the interactions between the two APIs.

I think people need to fear the presence of bots more than they do in the poker world. COmputer programs significantly impacted Wall st in the 80s and continue to do so today. Because trading and poker are so similar from a mathmatical viewpoint .... you can imagine the possibilities.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM

Dammit, Cola! Quit changing your avatar on me!

Freakin
Old 12-22-2004, 07:13 PM

MP3 technology began a way to compress music files to share them more efficiently. Usually accomplished by more technical routes such as FTP, Usenet and IRC. They were hard to find, often crappy and the RIA didn't take much notice. Napster came along and the average Grandmother had not problem downloading her favorite big band tunes.

Winholdem is a poker bot in its infancy. It's somewhat technical and for best results requires additional programming by the user. Its not very good right now, but there is substantial proof that it works.

As sure as the sun will shine tommorow, sooner then later, someone will use that existing bot technology to make one that is more effective in beating the games. The "napster" of poker bots hasn't surfaced yet, and it may be kept secret for some time by the developers. But its existence is inevitable, because there are millions of dollars involved.

Look at all the poker products in every department store in the mall as you finish your xmas shopping. If you think the software industry isn't capitalizing on this frenzy then you are insane.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dammit, Cola! Quit changing your avatar on me!

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to change it to make my stand against the Monty Python haters on the 2+2 forums. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 PM

Again, I think you are taking this way too far.

You make comparisons that, while somewhat accurate, have no real bearing on the discussion.

I get it- I should run to the friggin hills to avoid playing online poker in the future. The sky is falling and robots are coming to take all of my money.

We have heard it all before. Your attempts to compare MP3s and Napster to poker bots are misguided at best.

[ QUOTE ]

Look at all the poker products in every department store in the mall as you finish your xmas shopping. If you think the software industry isn't capitalizing on this frenzy then you are insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has no bearing on the discussion. The software industry will not have much to do with poker bots being developed. Bots will be the work of a few individuals, not the industry.

You still aren't convincing anyone.