Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Down to the felt

Good luck. If things don't turn out, don't use bad luck as an excuse. A few of my life long friends do that, and they're 40 and going no where at the speed of light.

If you fail and go looking for a reason, go back to this -

"I am 25 years old and have lost most things I had going for me in the last two months including a fiancee and law school and family."

Someone who loses those valuable things in life may need help. Poker is great, but keep it in perspective. You may be 25, but you'll be 40 before you know it. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:31 PM

Default A sad state of affairs

[ QUOTE ]
I am 25 years old and have lost most things I had going for me in the last two months including a fiancée and law school and family.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound beguiled by the captivating allure that’s surrounding poker right now. Everyone goes broke playing poker. EVERYONE. It might not happen right away, but it’s a statistical fact, one way or the other.

There are things that you CANNOT replace in your life once they are lost. Unless it was death that separated you from your loved ones you can only HOPE things could be mended in time, but ultimately things will never be the same and that’s assuming anyone from your family is willing to try. I say this from experience and from the deepest recesses of my poignant heart.

Please reconsider what you’re doing and try to recapture what’s substantial and genuine in life. I promise it is something you won’t regret years from now. Poker is nothing special. It’s a game. It will still be around when you’re 50, it’s not going anywhere. Finish school, be productive and don’t try to pursue this futile path or you’ll end up just like Right Said Fred.

Yeah, exactly. Who're they?

~stephen
Old 12-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: A sad state of affairs

"you’ll end up just like Right Said Fred. Yeah, exactly. Who're they?"

dont even go there. theyre far too sexy to diss.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:20 PM

You sound beguiled by the captivating allure that’s surrounding poker right now. Everyone goes broke playing poker. EVERYONE. It might not happen right away, but it’s a statistical fact, one way or the other.

I can't condone what haasjr is doing, but this is bullshit. If it was going to happen to me, it would've happened by now. You could fairly say "people who play in games they can't beat go broke" or "people who consistently play over their bankroll go broke," but not this.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Or maybe it would've been more appropiate to say, "Who's he?"

~stephen
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Wel then...

I guess you're in the 1% that has never had the misfortune to ever borrow, beg or steal to continue to play this game.

Congrats to you.

~stephen
Old 12-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Wel then...

most of the people posting here contiunue to play because we make a lot of money at this game, not just because we like too.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Wel then...

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're in the 1% that has never had the misfortune to ever borrow, beg or steal to continue to play this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

1% of whom?

alThor
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Not necessarily true.

First off, your grammer is horrendous.

Second, not everyone that posts here make alot of money at poker. If that were the case then you wouldn't have so many asking for advice.

Kid yourself not, poker is tough. Poker is very taxing on one's personality and tests one's limit of psychological endurance.

It's the old adage that if it were easy then everyone would do it. But obviously that's not the case. If it were in fact true then there wouldn't be a decent game anywhere.

~stephen
Old 12-23-2004, 10:02 PM

Default Let me put it in perspective.

I'll use golf as an example.

Do you know how many people play golf? I don't know the exact number but it's somewhere north of 35 million over the age of 18.

Do you know what the average golfer shoots in a round? A regular golfer would be happy to shoot in the mid 80's every time. Only 22% of ALL golfers regularly shoot below 90. The statistical average is 100 for ALL golfers. Only 6% of ALL golfers reagularly break 80. Less than 1% of ALL golfers shoot par or better. The PGA tour scoring average was 71.13. The Nationwide tour ave was 71.81. You can verify these stats online at various sources but I found the National Golf Association to be helpful.

So the 1% of whom I speak of would include me, you and everyone that plays poker on a regular basis.

What kills me the most are these people that say they've been playing winning poker for 3 months, 6 months, 9 months or whatever. I mean, come on. 6 months? That's nothing but a lucky streak. Try 7 or more years of playing for at least 2,000 hours a year and making at least 1BB an hour. Or, for you online folk, playing at least 220,000 hands a year and making at least 2BB/100 hands.

~stephen