Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: maximizing value - flopped quads ( low content )

BUT you don't know they will make a decent hand. What if that 9 hadnt come and they both fold the river. Ooops.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 PM

what if i bet the flop and everyone folded - personally i feel its a much bigger OOPS
Old 12-19-2004, 11:01 PM

If it's a tight table I slowplay it. But most aren't.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:06 PM

id have bet out if there was something for them to call... if the flop had been 2K2 or 2A2 something along those lines, or 2 toned would have been better. there just arent a lot of hands that are looking to hang around on 2 6 2 rainbow, and i didnt want to lose anybody.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 PM

Zulu can explain it better than I can.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if i bet the flop and everyone folded

[/ QUOTE ]

the point is that they were going to chase that 9 regardless, so by "slowplaying to let them catch a second best" all you're doing is giving them something for free that they would have gladly paid for. if you are against opponents who know better than to chase in small pots, then slowplaying is a good idea.

to slowplay, you need a couple of conditions.

1) you must have a very good hand
2) if you bet, everyone will fold, but by checking, you let someone make a good but ultimately second best hand.

It's criterion number 2 that makes slowplaying RARELY correct at microlimits - it is almost never the case that if you bet, everyone will fold. they'll still raise you if they hit their card, so you should get that extra flop bet too.

I also like betting these, because everyone expects me to slowplay them and when I bet, it's like telling them "I don't have quads"

On another note, here's a link you might want to check out
Ed Miller talks about big leaks, small leaks, and things which, in actuality, don't matter
Old 12-20-2004, 12:25 AM

i have to disagree with the betting on the flop. i agree on letting them have the card. the pot is 2 small for anyone to risk any more money to stick around. i think it is better to let them catch a card which would give them a full house insuring them to stay thgoughout turn and river. i am farely new to limit holdem so i might be wrong? but i think slow playing this was a must!!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i disagree. the amount of equity that i give up on the flop check is easily made up by someone making a second best hand here. i could have cost myself a lot more bets by betting the flop and folding the out the field. i'm only up against 4 opponents - 2 of which are the blinds, there werent any raises preflop and no one had shown any aggression up to the point the action was on me. there is no reason to think they'd call a bet with all those rags out there. a bet right there could have easily taken it down which would have really sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe or maybe not you could have gotten more money in this hand. I tend to bet the flop when I get quads because most PPers will be morely to call the smaller flop bet than the bigger turn one.