Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Re: First post

Welcome to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think I would like this play more if you had an overpair as opposed to TP ok kicker. I prefer to CR the flop in these situations. If your opponent does have a valid hand then getting 3-bet on the turn is alot more money than I planned on putting in for a marginal holding. If he is bluffing let him keep doing it and just call down.

Also try to withhold results on your next post until the discussion has ended.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:47 PM

I also would have check-raised or just bet that flop. I don't like check/call with TP just because you were raised preflop.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM

what up pumbah, welcome a board.

few things...

1) don't post results... it'll mess up your responses (check out the sticky up top of this board for more)

2) don't bring that little money to the table. always have enough to cap each street... unlikely, sure, but you should never have less than that

3) if you're taking bad beats, and you're down this low, that could mean just getting out... but you played this one ok. the fact that your opponent COULD put you all in, and may have suspected you were chip spewing may have altered the way he played you. also, if you were losing a lot of money, quickly, players tend to change their play against you. be careful in these spots.

3) i think you played the hand fine, although i'd consider raising the flop and betting the turn.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:55 PM

short stacked is one thing. short stacked enough to be put all-in is another. you don't want players getting tricky or changing their play against you when you can't charge them for it.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what up pumbah, welcome a board.

few things...

1) don't post results... it'll mess up your responses (check out the sticky up top of this board for more)

2) don't bring that little money to the table. always have enough to cap each street... unlikely, sure, but you should never have less than that

3) if you're taking bad beats, and you're down this low, that could mean just getting out... but you played this one ok. the fact that your opponent COULD put you all in, and may have suspected you were chip spewing may have altered the way he played you. also, if you were losing a lot of money, quickly, players tend to change their play against you. be careful in these spots.

3) i think you played the hand fine, although i'd consider raising the flop and betting the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much agree with all of what Errant said. Being all-in is just bad, if you don't have an adequate bankroll to handle these downswings, then you should move to a lower limit. I learned this the hard way @ 5/10. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 03:55 PM

So no one has a problem with the pre-flop call? Honestly, I would probably make the call as well, but then regret it. Even if the cutoff has just one overcard to your J, then you are a slight dog, or you could be a huge dog to two overcards (as turned out to be the case here). Since he seems agressive enough to not let go of something like K high, it seems like you are going to need to have a better hand to win this pot and I'd be more comfortable calling him with something I could show down unimproved - something with an A or K in it.

Is there a flaw in my thinking?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. As far as my stack I agree with everyone that i should have had more chips on the table.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:26 PM

against a probable steal raise this blind defense is kosher.

he could have you dominated, with something like AK or AQ (or any of the big pocket pairs), or you could be a slight dog to a medium or low pocket pair, or you could be about even to A-K-Q/x.

the more aggressive CO is, particularly in his steals, the easier this call is. if CO isn't known for raising, or doesn't steal... I think it's close.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:32 PM

Yeah, I guess its not so bad to be 50-50 since you are getting 3-1 on your call. So do you just check-fold if you miss the flop? This is the part that I don't like, because I know that an agressive player will bet virtually any flop and probably raise if I bet, regardless of whether he hit or not. I feel like if I can't play back at him or snap off a bluff (by calling down with a high card) when I miss the flop - which I will most of the time - then why get involved in the first place?

But maybe the answer is simply that 3-1 gives me enough pot odds to see the flop and fold if I miss?