Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Folding KK to the shortstack

If a Party rep was monitoring the table (yeah, I know, never happens but there's always a *chance*) you could've gotten nailed for collusion.

I don't know about you but that's more -EV than practicing (well, that, and practicing here doesn't work).
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM

they have reps monitoring the tables?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 PM

I realize you were playing for "practice" but this is one of the stupidest moves I've seen described here. Would the "practice" be worth letting the short stack continue to steal your blinds until he had a large enough stack to double up and be a force to deal with? Take the short stack out and spend the money to play in a MTT and get your experience that way. In fact if this was a true MTT (and you said you wanted practice) you would call w/any two in that situation.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a super satellite on Party. We were down to the final table, top 7 get seats, 8 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not fearful of anything except for this guy going out. Once he gets broke, my extremely profitable blind-stealing will be reduced or completely ended because people will begin to gamble more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. If the SB is the short stack and could be going all-in with any two, you would be doing everyone at the table by eliminating him. You have a very strong hand that will probably stand up to any PP and even Ax.

Once he busts, you are all playing just for fun anyway. There is no different payout for top place versus seventh, maybe only TLB points. You all have won one seat in the next tourney.

Party allows you to continue playing but it is just like play money then. Lots of all-ins. If this was Stars, the tourney would end as soon as No. 8 busts and everyone who won their seat would be listed as First Place finishers.

Am I missing something?

Steve

Edit: Okay, just re-read your OP and understand that you were practicing as if regular tourney. I still think that you should call his all-in as you probably still have a dominating hand. In fact, calling with any two as suggested is probably a good idea just to show other players you can not be intimidated.

If you want to keep your table image to steal blinds, then this is a win-win situation.

If the cowboys hold up, you win the pot and bust out the short stack. The others see that you could be on a rush of cards and continue to backdown.

If you had any two, called, and sucked out on the hand, it shows that you are willing to defend your blind and it may cost them all their chips to do it.

Steve
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 PM

The problem is that this is bad practice. The gap is much greater in satellite than in a normal tournament. The 3rd and 4th place stacks are probably pretty comfortable folding into one of the seats so they should be folding hands like AA,KK,QQ,AKs which in a normal bubble situtation they will play back at you. In a satellite, there is no point to play with the big stack if you are confidant that you will get a seat by just sitting back.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:57 PM

You weren't getting any real "practice" for the future, all you were doing was wasting the other players' time with pointless blind steals. And then you added insult to injury by donating chips to the short stack! I'd have been seriously pissed at that point.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:01 PM

I understand your move in a tournament paying only money, and your opponents playing extremely tight just to sneak in to higher payouts. But if everyone is getting the same prize from 7th up, your only goal should be getting 7th place. You can enter other multitables, or even SNGs to work on playing near the bubble. You still have command over the table, but you never know what may happen in future hands, play to meet the goal of coming in 7th or better when given the chance.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:06 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but there is no excuse for this fold, it doesn't matter what your plan for practicing was...Take the little man out and enjoy your ride into the bigger tourney.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:54 PM

Okay guys, message understood. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the input. I guess this is a concept that would be useful only very rarely. Also, I'm such a newbie to MTTs I didn't even consider that people wouldn't be playing their typical bubble games. Duh!

Thanks anyways! I'm going to play some more MTTs tonight so expect further dumbass posts soon. j/k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]