Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Should I call for this one outer?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly how much was in the pot, but it wasn't small...

[/ QUOTE ]
not to be a jerk but this might prove to be a problem if you plan on playing poker well.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he said my implied odds were huge, which I think makes it a little bit closer...but not close enough

[/ QUOTE ]
implied odds for what? assuming you knew that you only had one out... how on earth are you going to make up the rest of the bets on the river to cover peeling for a 45:1 shot?

assuming no one raises after you call the first time on the turn... you need to make up around 35 bets! assuming you call the second time around getting 15:1 (and not even closing the action and pretending it didn't cost you multiple bets on this street) you still need to make up around 30 bets on the river. so even if it's capped, on the river you won't get there....thus, you have no implied odds for a one outer.

granted, sometimes you have more than one out on this board... but in this hand in particular you actually have plenty of things working against you since your other outs area dubious at best and spiking a two or rivereing a straight is just going to cost you a bunch more bets.

count the pot, know the odds, fold the turn.
-tpir
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

threads like this are why this forum has gone in the sh[/i]itter. you're asking whether you should've called 2 bets for a non-nut 1 outer
Old 12-16-2004, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
threads like this are why this forum has gone in the sh[/i]itter. you're asking whether you should've called 2 bets for a non-nut 1 outer

[/ QUOTE ]

And didn't include the fact that there was a badbeat jackpot which he may have qualified for (and still hasn't included the size of the jackpot). Obviously if it's big enough, it's a correct call.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:04 PM

Well then, don't waste your time responding to it.....I said I thought it was wrong, but this guy is a winning player, so I was checking to see what the forum thought...

Since I wasn't playing online at the time, I didn't have a number on the screen telling me how many dollars were in the pot......If I think I need to count the bets, I count em.....I'd be willing to wager that most players don't keep track of the exact amount of bets in every single pot they play....I had a good idea of how much was in the pot....

Calling this one bet was a pretty situational play...The SB was very loose, and was fairly aggro...he could very well have been betting A high...I thought I might have the best hand, or at least more than 3 outs and made a loose call.....I knew I wasn't closing the action, but I wasn't expecting it to get raised......On top of all this, the badbeat jackpot was over 40 grand at the time, and yes my hand would have qualified....

excuse me if I sound a little bit ticked off, but if you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, you probably should just pick one of the other 100 or so threads posted each day and actually help someone out with their poker game....