Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running good?

I don't think you should worry about it. You'll play the best you can and the cards will either help or not. You have to think about why you're playing: for the challenge, the fun, etc. Personally I think it's a much better feeling to stop a session when you're ahead to the point where you feel "good" about it and don't particularly want to go back down again in that session. It's bad to keep playing to try and make back what you've lost in a session too in my opinion, because you rarely do (or so it seems). Stop when you *want* to stop, and if that's because you're worried about losing, then that's okay - as long as you played long enough to get enjoyment and don't want to play any more right then.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running good?

I'm definitely guilty of this. I just hate giving it back.

Although, for once tonight I feel I'm justified. I'm on a flight for Vegas in 17 hours. Loaded up Party for some final online action before tomorrow. 17 hands, +34BB. Put a smile on my face before retiring for the night and flying out tomorrow. A little bit of good karma, if you will (or bad, if you think that I used up all my good cards and nut straights in those 17 hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 12-16-2004, 06:02 AM

I don't think anyone denies that it's silly.
But psychologically it is still relevant.

I do think to a certain extent...but usually in combination with something else (like getting kinda tired anyway so might as well quit).

Today, for example, I got up a quick 60 BB's in a couple of hours. Since I had slowly bled-away 60 BB's the previous couple of days I played I was thrilled to 'get it back'.
Since I'm fighting a cold and I was getting groggy really fast I said "This is a good time to quit anyway....so I might as well."
So...it was a situation where I should have quit anyway because I was tired. But I used the fact that I had gotten my 60BB's back as well.

also....after resting I am now back at the tables continuing to grind away and it's only a few hours later.
I think this is much better than quitting for the day or the whole week. Just taking a break and letting yourself enjoy being up....but not preventing yourself from returning to the tables later on.

I think that 'locking a winning session' like this on an infrequent basis is okay.
Just don't make a regular habit out of it and it won't be costing you too terribly much.

I'll check out Caro's article now.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:43 AM

Pyschologically it does wonders.

I could lose 3 sessions in a row for 50 BB each in a live game. On my forth session I could just win something like 3 BB and feel great. Overall I am still down, but my confidence is up again and that's what matters to me at that point.

Lawrence
Old 12-19-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Wussy Short Sessions -- anyone else do this when they\'re running g

the term is "nit".