Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Re: VERY QUICK, AKs vs. a raise PF

Your goal here is to get all-in against the button, but avoid getting all-in against the bigger stack if you can help it.

Min-raise the button. The button will respond by going all-in, or you can put the button all-in on the flop. Doesn't really matter, button's not folding.

BUT this is the cheapest way to figure out if the player to your immediate left has KK or AA; since he's being whipsawed between the two of you he can't call unless he has a great hand, and he's going to have to reveal his true strength. If he comes over the top of the minraise, fold. If he smooth calls the min-raise and button's inevitable all-in bet, then see if he'll check down the hand with you, and otherwise check/fold unless you flop a monster.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:51 PM

Default RESULTS

Results, I actually folded this hand, due to the fact that the $200 stack was behind me, and I was in worst position in the hand.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:45 PM

since the button is raising you have to remember he doesnt need to have as strong of a hand to reraise your raise with. he can have as little as an mid pair or an ace under. either way the play i feel is correct would be to put him all in so if he has that mid pair then hey its a coin flip with a great flush draw (hard to say no to that). or he held ace queen or ace jack in which you are a favorite. he most likely wont be raising with ace ace or king king because he would want to slow play it with three people in the pot, short stacked, and not much money invested. post flop all in would be the right play for short stack to try to let someone catch up a little. disguising his hand would be the correct move. slim chance he has aa kk

back to the middle player, he called your raise and is now facing another raise. if you raise the short stack all in he is facing 3 raises. if this player calls the third look out he has ace ace or king king and only smooth called your initial raise. if he doesnt have either of these hands he will fold undoubtedly. and you would rather be heads up with only one player. makes your unmade hands odds better to win.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:58 PM

I think you made the right play.

I would fold this. I would DEFINITELY not reraise this. In these games, a reraise generally means AA, KK or QQ (occasionally AK). That puts you in a very difficult position. I would think about calling if the stacks were a little deeper.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 PM

the raiser has the small stack here which means he is liable to push hard with many different hands to try to get up
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 PM

I disagree, if the reraiser had a larger stack I would be far more likely to put him on a monster and far more likely to fold. The fact that the short stack has little money limits the damage he can do if he has a monster and makes it more likely he's raising crap (or a tiny pp) out of desperation.

As a rule of thumb, don't respect a short stack, if they were competent they would have a big stack.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:39 AM

the raiser does have the short stack which is my point he needs little to nothing to raise in his position with his stack. put him all in
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM

reraise to $50

if the bigger stack is even a tiny bit solid and he doesn't fold, he has QQ KK AA. don't get stacked when you flop a king.

9 times out of 10 he will fold, short stack will call, you will be a small favorite (on average) and dead money in pot makes it worth playing.