Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Point of the post....

With so many threads about tipping on a semi-regular basis, I thought I would lighten things up a little. Instead of having a begrudging attitude towards your dealers and "having" to tip them a dollar or two. Try lightening up once in a while. I was paying my bills strictly from poker during that time. Hell I thought I needed to be a tight-ass on the tokes to some degree because I was playing so much.
I had a nicely profitable month and wasnt going to concern myself with the results of a rack of $2 chips not finding the cage with me.

Just about all the players had a good time with it too. Had I chose to demolish the table it would have been easy. As the action I was getting and giving helped create what I like to call the "Caro atmosphere". With so many players laughing and looking out the window you not so slowly but laughingly take all the chips.

How much profit did I actually make from this? HUNDREDS...maybe more. Why? Example:

I'm all-in on the turn. 3 players involved including me. Dealer announces "3 players, Head-up on the side" as he burns & turns the river. Player 1 bets, Player 2 folds, player 1 tosses cards forward face down, dealer mucks them instantly and pushes the side pot to player 1.

Technically done perfectly. But do you think the dealer would stay "technically correct" if I A) Was a player with a bad attitude. B) Begrudgingly toked 1 dollar.

But the true point of the post.....Playing the game with a much lighter attitude, trying to be a small part of in fact bringing the "fun" to the table, gets the money also. But often times it gets the money without some players even being aware of you getting the money day-in and day-out. There is so much to be said for game selection, and turning a stoic table into a table with atmosphere and laughter is HUGELY profitable. Hell I have even done it online.

Mike Caro once wrote a article years ago in Poker Digest about "table talk". It was one of the most profitable things I have ever read. In fact I brought that magazine to a home game that night, told everyone about it, used it, and totally demolished the table all nite long. and after each pot I drug I loudly gave Mike Caro "hail Marys" which the entire table laughed at. Here they were laughing at my taking all the chips!!