Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2004, 01:43 AM

Default Live 5/5 NL Hand - playing \"pair poker\" with a shorty

so I've been experimenting with buying in short at my local action-packed 5/5 game......

I have $300 and the table has me covered....

I pick up AJo in LP (two from the button).....one limper in MP (loose/bad player).....I make it $50 and am called by the button (tightish player - ugh) and limper (yay, dead money)......

flop ($160) comes J64 (two-tone)....

MP checks, now it's on me to act.....

here's what I was thinking.....I'm not worried about MP, it's the button that scares me......when button called me pre-flop I put him on any pair (though probably nothing lower than 88 or 99 and probably not AA or KK which he would've reraised with) or AK, maybe AQ.....I figure this is as good a flop as any for me and I can't check and give a free card in case button checks behind me.....

so I bet $125 and button raises to $300, MP folds.....I figure I'm committed at this point and close my eyes and put in my final $125.....button shows QQ and I get no help...

thoughts on what I could've done differently?.....

as far as preflop, my strategy with my stack size at this table was to play tightish and play no drawing hands and jam the pot preflop with high cards/high pairs and play "pair poker"....I know AJo is a very suspect hand and it's one that I rarely play in a regular game with a regular stack unless I'm playing it for a straight or a small pot.....but with my stack, how picky can I get?.....does playing tight pair poker mean waiting for nothing but AA, KK, QQ, and AK?......surely there must be other hands that need to be added to the arsenal to make this strategy profitable.....

on the flop in this particular hand, it hurt that I didn't have position on the player with the button, but even so, I figured there was only one hand that he could realistically have that beat me, and he had it......just the brakes or was it a bad play by me?......also, even on the flop, should I have gotten away from my hand even with the pretty big size of the pot relative to my stack (i.e. - maybe bet like $75 and fold to a raise by button)?.....