Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Bonds asterisk

Let's not forget about the use of corked bats.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Baseball players in all eras have had some sort of advantage over players of different eras. Right now it happens to be steroids. Fifty years from now it will be something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your opinion could a player cheating on the field be so egregious that you would consider his achievements marred? It seems as if you’re willing to forgive anything using your logic.

I personally would rather see the players use their natural talents and abilities. Call me crazy.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM

Should players be barred from lifting weights and taking nutritional supplements? That would be more natural.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Baseball players in all eras have had some sort of advantage over players of different eras. Right now it happens to be steroids. Fifty years from now it will be something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and that is the dilemma MLB faces. It is not an easy decision to make because as you say, people have always looked for advantages. The corked bat is a good example. Cheating is cheating.

Also, whether you believe him or not, should unknowingly taking a steroid be punishable also? (Keep in mind I am not saying Bonds isn't lying. I just mean to ask the question in general and it may apply to many.)
Old 12-03-2004, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally would rather see the players use their natural talents and abilities. Call me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do you draw the line? Weight-lifting enhances ability. Protein powder? Creatine? Vitamin pills? Androstendione? I'm not trying to argue for steroids. I'm seriously trying to figure this one out.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 PM

There wasn't any penalty for using steroids until last year.

this is wrong
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM

It has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt that corking a bat doesn't help much, if at all. The exact same thing can be accomplished by hollowing out the top of the bat, and that is entirely legal. I also don't believe steroids give players as much of an advantage as many people seem to think. Steroids can make players bigger and stronger, but also more susceptible to injuries. Look at Giambi and Caminiti. They had a few big years before breaking down. Is this really helping them?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:58 PM

I think steroids should be legal. Anyone can use them if they want. I'd really like to see a bunch of superhuman athletes competing with each other, sports might get more interesting.

This might also lead to the development of even more powerful types of steroids or something new. I would love it if guys got to be the size of horses and smashed baseballs for miles.

haha, that would be awesome. Way better than tiny guys struggling to hit the ball past first base.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at Giambi and Caminiti. They had a few big years before breaking down. Is this really helping them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the fact that Giambi has $80M+ left due to him thanks largely to a couple good years at a very opportune time tells me yes it has helped him tremendously.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has been estimated by some that 40-50% of the players have used steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about your figures, but I have seen this estimate amongst nonpitchers, but not the overall population of baseball. The reports I have seen indicate @ 10% were caught during he initial steroid "screening" test of baseball players in 2003 which triggered baseball's current policy of testing of steroids. Of course not all steroids were tested for and there are means by which one could beat the screening test, but 40-50% of all players seems exceptionally high to me.