Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Re: I must live where palm trees are

And here my gf and I are thinking how nice it'd be to move to Portland / Seattle. It's west coast without having to be Cali.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:06 AM

I thought the same thing. So I chose to go to school in San Diego for reasons that were about 90% weather related. So far it has been pretty awesome compared to MN, but not quite the paradise I had my hopes set on. It still gets dark pretty early and still gets a little cool at night. But I hear its been abnormally cold lately so maybe thats part of the problem.

BTW, every day while I'm walking to class I thank god that its sunny out and I am wearing a T-shirt instead of bundled up trying not to freeze to death in Minnesota. Does that count?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:39 AM

Default After four months in Florida...

...I'm still lovin' it here. But you should know that state law limits poker to a $2 max bet so all the tables are $1/$2. I lived in San Diego for 2 1/2 years when I was younger and loved it as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 AM

I'm running out the door to get to the beach right now, so I haven't read any of the other responses.

But I'll tell you what, moving to Tampa is undoubtedly one of the top three smartest things I've ever done.

You're right about palm trees and sunshine. They're comforting. Living here, you almost feel like you're somehow cheating. I keep thinking someone's going to walk up, tap me on the shoulder, and say "Excuse me, you know you're not allowed to be here, right? Move along now, back to Connecticut. Yes, I know it's a stupid place to live, but that's what YOU get. Go back to D.C. or Milwaukee or New Jersey if you prefer, but you can't stay here. I mean, look around; do you really think you can just drive here, get a place to stay, and LIVE here?!"

Actually, that's exactly what you can do.

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE 65!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 AM

This thread kinda depresses me, I would love to move to Florida or California too, but for some reason it doesn't seem like an option for me. Maybe it's all the family around here.

Yesterday morning I had to spend about 20 minutes scraping the ice off of my car and my wifes car. My car doors were frozen shut. Today it was just under 30 degrees on my way to work, and it hasn't even gotten cold yet.

I agree with PoBoy though, tshirts on Christmas would feel way off, but that's why you visit the family on the holidays, then you get the snow and cold for a week or two and your done.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with PoBoy though, tshirts on Christmas would feel way off, but that's why you visit the family on the holidays, then you get the snow and cold for a week or two and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. In a couple weeks, I'm headed back to Massachusetts for Christmas with the family. Right now, however, my window's open and it's a beautiful morning. Maybe a little chilly by LA standards, but entirely pleasant.

That said, there are parts of this city that do qualify as "hellholes", and I've lived there too. (The sort of place where I step over the passed-out heroin addict to get out of my front door in the morning. No, really.)

If you're going to move to SoCal, make sure you pick someplace nice, but there are quite a few of those. I'm pretty sure I've seen the worst this state has to offer, and I'm not moving anytime soon.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:56 AM

I tried to go to USD out of high school, but apparently I was either to stupid or my parents weren't rich enough for me to go there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], lucky SoB.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:02 PM

I remember going surfing two Januarys ago down in SoCal....

But our summers are better here in Portland.

The key: Buy a winter home in SoCal; a summer home in Portland. And a high-speed helicopter to fly between the two.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 PM

what's stopping you?

I live in L.A.

Southern Cal, while not perfect, is a great place to live.

PS: I have Palm Trees outside my bedroom window and front door.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:04 PM

Florida is a cultural wasteland, palm trees or no.