Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Super Wed is a speed tourney? WTF?

more like an hour and a half, but yes.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Adanthar may be right that this game is winnable with the appropriate strategy, but as the appropriate strategy is stalling, it's just no fun... for me, anyway. Talk about a poker grind!

-Z
Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM

Well, this may be a tilt move, but I signed up. I took two weeks off from poker (except for enough 5/10 short hands to clear my sign up bonus on empire) and tonight was going to be my triumphant return in my two favorite tournies. At least I know I won't be up til all hours even if I win the thing.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:01 PM

the appropriate strategy is NOT stalling. unles syou just want to get early money, the appropriate strategy is to get a stack that is large enough that you can attack people in the blinds that are all in for a significant amount with moderate hands like KQ and KT against random hands.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:28 PM

Believe me, stalling was the last thing I wanted to see, let alone do. Out in 251. Saw a fair amount of stalling, which hurt me badly. I only had a couple playable hands, and only two I went to shodown with (1 I won and jumped way up, then I was pretty close to comitted when I got 77 in the sb later in a battle of the blinds, he had K6s and flopped two pair.)

I don't think I will play those again, the stalling is just too aggravating. They need to shorten the shot clock dramatically in those things, and penalize people who stall, like give you 10 sec and take time off your next action if you use more than 5 sec. Or give first to act 10 sec and everyone else 5.

I don't think those are bigger EV than regular tournies (maybe the NL are). In limit you make your money by pushing small edges over lots of hands, you just don't get nearly enough hands to let skill come into play here. Average stack size was already like 6BB 20ish minutes in.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 PM

Stalling is the right strategy at certain points. If you're a small or medium stack, stalling is certainly the way to go. This doesn't change between limit and NL; under the right circumstances, winning 6-8 random hands once in the money gets you deep into the final table.

The real question is how much attacking you can do as a huge stack and whether any ace, most pairs, etc. is the way to go or if you need a tighter strat. The other thing I'd like to figure out is how much bubble play changes because it's limit.

In either case, stalling starting just before the bubble is what you want to do in *most* cases, unless you are a huge stack of 4-6 BB+ or have everyone covered.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:04 PM

I agree with you all. I also have three super qualifiers in the wait. I will definitely not play in a speed limit tourney. I think that 20 min blind increases is a bit too fast. I wish they would make the increments 30 minutes.

Oh well, I will definitely be in tomorrow's night super

Are you in, David??

Stipe___
Old 12-01-2004, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bit of a rant, but wtf would party make there super wed limit tourney a speed tourney??? I was planning on playing the RV play the experts and super wed tonight, but now I need to rethink. Very anoying, first they change the friday special to NL now they ruin the wed tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Having a $150 speed tournament is a bit ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a $30 Speed Tournament is ridiculous. They should all be $10. Why put $30 into one of these when you can just as easily buy 30 Lottery tickets?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:31 PM

Adanthar, I looked for you in this tourney. What's yur party name?

-Z
Old 12-01-2004, 11:38 PM

i think these are more luck than a regular tournament, but i have also won 2 of these, and have had a friend get second and another get 1st. i think there is some definte skill involved.