Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Poker Superstars = Shots at Hellmuth?

Hellmuth is a tightwad sometimes, but if you notice he really only gets angry when it someone he doesn't respect that makes the play on him. In all the WSOP episodes, it was some nobody that spun him into rage. In the TOC, he only times he really got into any verbal problems was when Lederer called with AJ after Phil folded AQ, and I believe we all thought Phil made the right play and that Howard was out of line. The other time was with Annie, but that was more of Phil just berating his own play "i acted too fast" "what is she doing to me."

I think the problem was with the 400k, all the players that are the PSI table play or have played in the big game (with the exception of Cloutier I believe), so 400k is not alot to those guys.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe they did invite him onto the show and that he declined putting up the 400k. Maybe he declined because he knew he wasnt a favorite or he didnt have the money or for some other reason. Id most likely guess he declined putting up 400k playing against 6-7 players that are better than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth is one of the best No Limit Hold'em tournament players ever with many accomplishments under his belt, some being the 9 WSOP bracelets he's won all in HOLD'EM! How can you say he wouldn't have been a favourite to win that PSI tournament?

Also, please list the 6-7 players you believe to be better at hold'em tournament play then Hellmuth sitting at that PSI table.

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth is a tightwad sometimes, but if you notice he really only gets angry when it someone he doesn't respect that makes the play on him. In all the WSOP episodes, it was some nobody that spun him into rage. In the TOC, he only times he really got into any verbal problems was when Lederer called with AJ after Phil folded AQ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I also believe he called Howard Lederer an amateur in a heads up hand where he believed Howard played the hand wrong. I might be mistaken.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem was with the 400k, all the players that are the PSI table play or have played in the big game (with the exception of Cloutier I believe), so 400k is not alot to those guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Cloutier plays in "the big game" either but if he can conjure up 400K with his gambling problem then I don't think it's a problem for Hellmuth either. I might be mistaken on this as well.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:37 PM

I don't think Cloutier ever plays in the big game.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:10 PM

I think he's been known to be a poor cash game player but an excellent tournament player. There's a big difference in what it takes to win tournaments and win at cash games.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:32 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Professional Players are BORING

Geesh, what is wrong with you people? If it wasn't for the crazies at the table and their silly antics (the Hellmuth pacing, the Matasauo blowup, the Anderson crazy-swede/dutch gutteral screams, the Unabomber shuffle, etc.) then NO ONE would be friggin watching it on tv and getting excited and putting their dead money into YOUR pockets!

Think about it. If everyone was sweet and polite, etc. then people wouldn't find viewing poker to be exciting. People want to see the drama, the agony of the defeats and the thrills of victories. THAT is what makes watching poker exciting, seeing those crucial hands where things could go either way.

And besides, watching Men The Master tell someone that they're not as good of a tournament player as he is right before they knock him out of the tourney, and watching him spit his Corona all over the table is priceless (don't get me wrong, Men is one of my favorite players, I would kill to sit down and play at his table)
Old 11-29-2004, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Geesh, what is wrong with you people? If it wasn't for the crazies at the table and their silly antics (the Hellmuth pacing, the Matasauo blowup, the Anderson crazy-swede/dutch gutteral screams, the Unabomber shuffle, etc.) then NO ONE would be friggin watching it on tv and getting excited and putting their dead money into YOUR pockets!

Think about it. If everyone was sweet and polite, etc. then people wouldn't find viewing poker to be exciting. People want to see the drama, the agony of the defeats and the thrills of victories. THAT is what makes watching poker exciting, seeing those crucial hands where things could go either way.

And besides, watching Men The Master tell someone that they're not as good of a tournament player as he is right before they knock him out of the tourney, and watching him spit his Corona all over the table is priceless (don't get me wrong, Men is one of my favorite players, I would kill to sit down and play at his table)

[/ QUOTE ]

You GET it.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth is a tightwad sometimes, but if you notice he really only gets angry when it someone he doesn't respect that makes the play on him. In all the WSOP episodes, it was some nobody that spun him into rage. In the TOC, he only times he really got into any verbal problems was when Lederer called with AJ after Phil folded AQ, and I believe we all thought Phil made the right play and that Howard was out of line. The other time was with Annie, but that was more of Phil just berating his own play "i acted too fast" "what is she doing to me."

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't berating Duke or downing her play? Go watch the end again, I love Annie to death but.. and off he went, sorry he dissed her pretty good in some of those comments, whining about how better then her he is but how lucky she got.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:59 PM

I don't think any of the players put up their own 200k. Why would they want to play a sit-n-go with some of the best in the world? It's like Doyle said, "It does no good to be the 8th best stud player in the world and play with the 7 best everyday." There ain't no dead money!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(don't get me wrong, Men is one of my favorite players, I would kill to sit down and play at his table)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I don't think you'd want this. Men might be cheating.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Men Cheating

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(don't get me wrong, Men is one of my favorite players, I would kill to sit down and play at his table)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I don't think you'd want this. Men might be cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the accusations that he has a team of players who dump chips to him in tournaments? While it's certainly plausible, there's no guarantee that he's going to get seated with those guys ever during the course of an event. So I would have to say that it would be impossible for him to accomplish this everytime and he's still a damn good player.