Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chip has only been playing in cash games for the last few years and from what I've heard, he's doing very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um - I think Chip has been playing cash games longer than that - He is widely regarded as the best poker player period!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the first poster meant to say, "For the last few years, Chip has only been playing in cash games [and not tournaments]." Although that has changed a bit recently. Chip remarked once that his kids complained that he wasn't on TV, so he has started entering some events.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:04 AM

LETS GET THIS CLEAR FOR ALL THE WPT JOHNNY COME LATELY FANS.

CHIP REESE= MOST MONEY WON IN POKER BY ANYONE EVER

BARRY GREENSTEIN= MOST MONEY WON IN THE LAST 5 YRS

GUS HANSON=IS USUALLY A LOSER AND STUCK 50-150K IN THE BIG GAME ON A GIVEN NIGHT.

CHAU GIANG=CONSISTENT WINNER IN THE BIG GAME

AMIR VAHEDI= LOST 3.5 MILLION IN THE BIG GAME OVER 18 MONTHS IS BROKE.

PHIL IVEY= CONSISTENLY MAKES MONEY IN THE BIG GAME~400K A MONTH

TED FORREST= MAKES TONS OF MONEY IN EVERY BIG LIMIT GAME AVAILIBLE.

Phil Hellmuth= ALMOST NEVER EVER PLAYS ABOVE 200-400/ OR SIMILIAR PL GAMES.

LYLE BERMAN= ZILLIONAIRE WHO MORE THAN HOLDS HIS OWN IN THE BIG GAME(EVER HEARD OF WILSONS LEATHER?? THATS HIS COMPANY.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:38 AM

Intersting, how do Howard Lederer, Daniel Negreanu, and Johnny Chan fair against those guys in the big cash games?

From what I hear these guys are pretty good all-rounders, but all I have is like third-hand information.

Btw, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE CAPS LOCK TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:58 AM

Phil's problem as it pertains to TV is that he is so focused, he lacks emotion. To TV execs, they see this guy win a huge pot or whatever and he just sits and stares and that's a turn-off to them. Nobody can deny that Phil is a great player and will continue to be for a long time, but ESPN and Travel want the players who get up and scream and what-not.

Also did anyone else chuckle when Phil said "I had to go grind it out in the $75-$150 game". Gimme some money Phil so I can go slum with the $75-$150 crowd. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 04:40 AM

The guy I'm most curious about is John Juanda. What cash games does he play, and how does he do?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:23 AM

wow so someone is losing 400k a month to phil ivey, and there is still a piece left for chip chau barry dan and ted? i gotta get to this game
Old 11-27-2004, 01:56 PM

knifeandfork, meet Larry Flynt.

Try not to ogle, at either the wheelchair, the perv in it, or the hot ladies that surround him.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:10 PM

I am continually amazed at the amount of action that these guys are able to get and the consistency of it. Last month I saw a three handed game at the Bellagio with Chau Giang, Phil Ivey and some guy. Why, no matter WHO you were, would you sit down and play a cash game with Giang and Ivey? BUT they continue to get action so I guess the money is out there.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent article. Thanks for the link. Why would he play in tourneys if he can win $1 million in a night at a ring game? Most tourneys don't pay that much for first! Thanks for the help though

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not in it just for the Money. Phil wants to be the best in the world. In tournaments and cash games alike. That's what he said in his Card Player article anyway.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent article. Thanks for the link. Why would he play in tourneys if he can win $1 million in a night at a ring game? Most tourneys don't pay that much for first! Thanks for the help though

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not in it just for the Money. Phil wants to be the best in the world. In tournaments and cash games alike. That's what he said in his Card Player article anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, tourney fame begets fish.