Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: poker software = cheating?

I don't think the use of pokertracker is in cheating when you are analyzing at the hands you have played. I think that pokertracker is a great piece of software. I question the ethics of data mining 12 tables that you are not playing on. While it is curently allowed I also have pokertracker mining at night but I think it is a bad thing for the long term health of online poker and I don't want my opponents to have another advantage over me. I don't like to concept of programs like poker edge selling information on all players. I think party can and probably should stop this by changing how hand histories are stored for players and nonplayers.

Just my thoughts,
Cheers,
Luca
Old 11-23-2004, 12:22 PM

I think data mining puts a lot of stuff in your db that just clogs it up and is of limited practical value. I don't think you need to know a player's vp$ip stats (and others) down to 2 decimal places to know what kind of player he is.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this not strike anyone else as a form of cheating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider this. If I have an excellent memory and the ability to analyze and crunch stats in my head - an ability that some people definitely have - am I cheating? If I've read books on probabilities and how to calculate them at the table, am I cheating? If I sit at the table with a notebook in hand and make notes on my opponents including how often they come in, their overall aggression, etc. Am I cheating?

Poker is a game of information. All the information available to me is available to everyone in the world if they know how to get it. This cannot be cheating. Does it give me an advantage? Sure, but an advantage isn't cheating.

Regards,

T
Old 11-23-2004, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it is curently allowed I also have pokertracker mining at night

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do this? I was under the impression that you had to import hand histories from hands you had actually played in.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do this? I was under the impression that you had to import hand histories from hands you had actually played in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at PartyPoker. Just open a few tables and let them run. (You have to have the newest version of PokerTracker.)
Old 11-23-2004, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not at PartyPoker. Just open a few tables and let them run. (You have to have the newest version of PokerTracker.)

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get the hand histories? I thought that even if you auto-requested them, you had to do some manual input. I think I have the latest version of PT, although I have not yet gotten around to buying the registration key.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:05 PM

If you dont have the registration key then you dont have any usage for datamining, 1k of hands will be loaded in just a few hours...

But if you get the full version: Use autoimport. Read more about it under "help" tab and choose "How to import Party HH stored on you hard drive"
Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 AM

I am planning on getting the full version but it is about 75th on my 'to-do' list right now: I'm very busy these days.

With that in mind, I am trying to really learn about all the features of the software.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:35 AM

With the new programs that recently came out to overlay game-time information onto your party poker windows, I consider data-mining to be a must. I typically will datamine during the day, then waitlist the tables I was doing it on when I get back. It's a lot of fun to have 300+ hands worth of information on my opponents (though it's usually the tighter players that have been at my tables longer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Freakin

-------------------------------------------
Old 11-24-2004, 08:01 AM

Collusion and outright cheating of that sort have nothing in common with gathering data that is publicly available(just ask the sites to send it to you). Everyone has access to this information, and the sites themselves have no problem with your getting it -- some even make it very easy for you to do so.

Lumping these two things together makes it clear you either are thinking in a very sloppy manner or are carelessly casting aspersions -- or both. Your outlook is somewhat akin to equating rape with sex or borrowing with stealing.