Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Bison\'s Autorate Rules and SSH \"Tight\" Preflop Recommendations

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SSH assumes 15-35% of pots are raised. This is a pretty passive game compared with even the lowest Party Poker limit full ring games, which have 50-60% of pots raised. Under these conditions, my VP$IP is ~16%.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I play looser than this at 15/30 where almost every pot is raised. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
So this means you don't mind it getting raised behind you if you limp w/ Axs or 55 in EP? With a LAG or 2 behind me, I'm dropping these because I don't want to play them ~3-handed for 2 SB (though I suppose w/ a LAG you would get some additional compensation when you hit a flop).

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which limit you play. This seems like a good number for 3/6. If you play 2/4, however, I think you're passing on some profitable hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm playing $1/2. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Maybe you're right and I need to loosen up. For one thing, I overestimated the amount of raising that's going on. After messing around a little w/ Access and my PT DB, it looks like about 45% of $.5/1 and 55% of $1/2 pots are raised.

Thanks to you and Milo, there may soon be yet another sLAG out there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this means you don't mind it getting raised behind you if you limp w/ Axs or 55 in EP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I hate it, which is why I don't play these hands from EP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In fact, I almost never open-limp at 15/30. It usually gets raised behind you after you limp, and too often you end playing a marginal hand heads-up and out of position.

Don't get my wrong. My VP$IP isn't a lot higher. It's about in the 17-18 range.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing $1/2. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
The Party 1/2 full? This game is actually pretty tight for the stakes. You should consider playing the 2/4 full games if you have the bankroll or the 1/2 6 max.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're right and I need to loosen up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I just think in the 2/4 game there might be a few more hands you can play profitably since more pots are multiway and unraised. For instance, I would limp UTG with 77 or A9s at 2/4. These hands I dump in tighter, more aggressive games.

There's certinaly nothing wrong with VP$IP of 16. Maybe you are simply more disciplined than me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The 1/2 games are actually a bit tighter than 2/4 on Party, believe it or not. (All the maniacs play the 6 max games.)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to you and Milo, there may soon be yet another sLAG out there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, I've turned another player into a LAG like me. My work is done here. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Unlike some of the posters, my vp$ip went down once I started following SSH guidelines. I think it is primarily due to the rarity of cold calling raises. In late position, in a loose, passive game you are calling a lot.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the SSH starting hand recommendations (even the "tight" game ones) will push your VP$IP over 20 in most small stakes games where there isn't a lot of preflop raising. So Ed wouldn't get Bison Bison's good player rating. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My pre-flop play is a little looser than Miller's "tight" chart and is still only about 18%.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the SSH starting hand recommendations (even the "tight" game ones) will push your VP$IP over 20 in most small stakes games where there isn't a lot of preflop raising. So Ed wouldn't get Bison Bison's good player rating. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My pre-flop play is a little looser than Miller's "tight" chart and is still only about 18%.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I don't know how much this hair needs to be split but FWIW: If ALL pots were unraised, you'd see the flop ~27% of the time by these recommendations. So VP$IP would be ~17% (dropping 10% for the BB).
Old 11-22-2004, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I don't know how much this hair needs to be split but FWIW: If ALL pots were unraised, you'd see the flop ~27% of the time by these recommendations. So VP$IP would be ~17% (dropping 10% for the BB).

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this count the times you complete in the SB? I forget exactly what Ed recommends, and I loaned the book to a friend.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this count the times you complete in the SB? I forget exactly what Ed recommends, and I loaned the book to a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but I could have gotten it wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Not counting the SB, there is some info here:

zerosum's calcs
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I stand corrected.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:13 PM

I play 2/4 and am at 19% pre flop with a 2.5 BB won per 100. I play on Party Poker and I only have 6500 hands so far...but it feels that I'm playing right where I should be related to my win rate.

Wombles
Old 11-23-2004, 07:51 PM

Hey Womble, played you tonight, and on my (500+) PT record of you, you dropped <20% VPIP.

What happened man?

ZB