Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Stats For $215ers on 2+2 Forums

The most prolific 215 player that's posted his numbers here is probably Daliman, with well over 2500 SNG's and a 12% ROI.

He plays more than most people (up to 50 per day and once did a 100 day as a challenge), and his biggest downswing was in the 8500 range.

With only a 10% advantage, it is statistically almost inevitable that you will have a run where you're a 20% loser over a decently long (100-200+ tournaments) period of time and somewhat likely it will be deeper and larger than that.

YMMV, but if you don't accept this and are not able to play through it when it happens, you're almost certainly going to be back here ranting about how Party's rigged in six more months.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 PM

You have not played a statistically significant number of tourneys yet to determine if you are a winning player. Your results are awesome for your level of experience but I would not put too much stock in those results yet.

If I may make a suggestion, take $55 or your winnings and buy Poker Tracker http://www.pokertracker.com (I hope this does not qualify as spam...I am in no way affiliated with the product, just a very happy customer)

Congrats on your results and may the force continue to be with you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most prolific 215 player that's posted his numbers here is probably Daliman, with well over 2500 SNG's and a 12% ROI.

He plays more than most people (up to 50 per day and once did a 100 day as a challenge), and his biggest downswing was in the 8500 range.

With only a 10% advantage, it is statistically almost inevitable that you will have a run where you're a 20% loser over a decently long (100-200+ tournaments) period of time and somewhat likely it will be deeper and larger than that.

YMMV, but if you don't accept this and are not able to play through it when it happens, you're almost certainly going to be back here ranting about how Party's rigged in six more months.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe Daliman has had such big downswings because he played so much in so little time. if hadly see a player being able to focus their all into the SNGs their playing if you're playing that many SNGs a day. my ROI and ITM% are both higher when i play less (even if i'm multi-tabling) than when i'm playing alot. sure it's possible to loss 10K, but to do that, i think you're either overextending yourself (without enough focus on what you're doing) or you're playing crappy poker. after all, with being one of the most prolific, i'm pretty sure Daliman also thinks he's a very good $215er.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Default What\'s the over/under?

On this guy's "I don't know what happened, I'm stuck $25k" post? Six months?

Greg: seriously. You need to learn about the variance of SnGs before you get in over your head. That you are questioning (I think your word was "insane") a $10k drop after only showing 10% ROI over a few hundred SnGs shows you don't know the basics yet.

You don't know how many people have posted about their short-term results in the $215s. This is often followed up later on by a story of woe, some of which are very serious.

I wish you the best of luck, but hope you aren't banking too much on your results so far.

eastbay
Old 11-21-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: What\'s the over/under?

I appreciate the advice, and I'm not taking too much stock in my results, I've been withdrawing a grand here and there and even if I go broke with my current bankroll, I will be $4500 richer than I was at the start of this month. Obviously, I don't know everything there is to know about SNGs b/c I'm just starting. I appreciate the advice, and I'll update you on how I'm doing after I have a better sample size.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the advice, and I'm not taking too much stock in my results, I've been withdrawing a grand here and there and even if I go broke with my current bankroll, I will be $4500 richer than I was at the start of this month. Obviously, I don't know everything there is to know about SNGs b/c I'm just starting. I appreciate the advice, and I'll update you on how I'm doing after I have a better sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you'll do fine. the key thing is, concentrate on getting better and don't get above yourself. playing in the big leagues CAN and WILL wreck havoc on a bankroll. start talking to more experienced $109 and $215 players about bankroll management. there's nothing saying that you can't sustain and better your current ROI.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:47 PM

Cool. I don't mean to come off as an ass, I just hate to see people lose a chunk without knowing what hit them. It happens a lot.

eastbay
Old 11-21-2004, 11:12 PM

everybody seems thinking it's not possible ...
Really ?
He played 400 games, well that means something.
Nothing special to be a winning player a 215$ after few months.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:26 AM

greg. congrats on your good results.

by my caluclations, you've only won about $10k in your 451 sng's. this is only an approx because i considered all your tournaments to be 215s and didn't take into consideration the mixed game. did you add your $5k halloween win in there?

out of curiosity, how many are you multitabling at once and how many hours have you put in this month.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
greg. congrats on your good results.

by my caluclations, you've only won about $10k in your 451 sng's. this is only an approx because i considered all your tournaments to be 215s and didn't take into consideration the mixed game. did you add your $5k halloween win in there?

out of curiosity, how many are you multitabling at once and how many hours have you put in this month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks hhboy, your calculations are absolutely correct I am including the $5k in my +/- for the month. For the first 18 days of this month I had been 4 tableing. In the past 3 days I have been 8-tableing, 4 at both EP and PP. Thus, if you break it down, I've probably logged about 110 hours over 21 days, or a little over 5 hours a day.