Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: First day playing 1/2 6max, hows this hand?

A raise on the turn might have been better. Forcing people to face two bets is always more likely to get them to fold or give them the incorrect odds to call(well usually), compared to a flop raise. At that point, the pot is big enough that if you win straight out and everyone folds to your check raise, you don't care; you've won enough. If they call, so much the better.

As it turned out, the Ace of clubs on the turn could make it look like you raised on hitting your ace, which could make more people fold than would have if they thought you had raised the flop on a queen. It could also get a lot of calls from people playing Ace-x, which is probably great for you. Hard to tell how it would work for you without knowing the players.

Unfortunately, it also puts two to a flush on board. This is the situation where a turn raise comes in handy for trying to make drawing hands pay a lot of money to get there. Whether they call or fold, you get your money's worth out of your raise. This would have been a beautiful spot for a turn raise, for sure.

I'd call this river and just expect to lose most of the time. I've been in situations at low levels like this more than once where at the end the other guy turns over a pair of jacks, seriously.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:57 PM

I bet the flop and hope a Q raises then I checkraise the turn.

Punishing people on the turn is usually much better.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were interested in protecting your hand then CR the turn is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the flop bettor is immediately to your left, how is that protecting your hand, since nobody is facing two bets? Doesn't it just pump up the pot (which is great too, considering you most likely have the best hand).