Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: lost my roll

Oh, Ok. Sorry about the misinterpretation on my part, however, your syntax wasn't exactly Faulknerian (or was it?). I've just noticed often times newbs (i.e. myself- in this case) are often disrespected, and our posts are met with less than staggering responses. I think the disrespect in general with regard to new posters, and the disrespect put forth by new posters are both on the more than they need to be, here at 2+2. I'm glad to see that all is well here, and I know this has gotten of topic, but that seems common around here, too. Oh well.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:01 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
no the guy was saying you're post was good and the rest of the guys were beating up on him and then eachother. His poor English got me the first couple of times I read it but I think he was trying to be positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

scrub started it
Old 11-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Hi Bullchip,

I've been there too. First year, I dropped my roll and more. 2nd year broke even nearly. Wasn't till 3rd year I made a profit. Live and learn I guess.

Take a break, build a roll up and your confidence back. Then come back to the game.

Good luck

Lawrence
Old 11-15-2004, 09:14 AM

Build your roll slowly and think about the 300bb rule.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:12 AM

What was your roll, and how did you lose it? Just curious.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:16 AM

You may night feel like it, but could you explain how it happenned? If you're willing to step down when you take a hit, it seems pretty tough to get totally broke without taking some big risks.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Quit Bragging...Until you have something to bragg about

I've been busted about a 20 times.... This is NOT an exageration.....

After being busted, I would borrow $100, play the tiny NL games(which are very soft), pay back the loan(usually in one day), and build my bankroll to the point I was playing the higher limts.......

Now I have a low 5 figure bankroll in PROFIT despite my previous bust outs.......

I will NEVER bust out again because I've learned several lessons:
1. I play at the proper limits for my bankroll size.
2. I play games that I can beat.
3. I'm a better player because I have busted out. It forces you to self examine your play...

Sell a few CDs/DVDs...play at a lower level that you KNOW you can beat. For NL, you want 10 times the max buy in for the game your playing. Of course if your a losing playing then no bankroll will be safe.........
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM

Default thanks and thoughts

Perhaps against better judgment, I'm going to include some details on how I lost my roll. I'm not sure why I'm doing this given the fact that I'm opening myself up to complete strangers, yet I'm compelled to think that somehow, someway, this is going to be helpful. Here goes...

If you do a search on my posts, you'll see that I completed a quest where I started with $30 and built that up to $3K. Took me less than a month to accomplish that. I was feeling great and thought that I was finally learning from my mistakes. How naive I was...

Probably about a couple weeks later, I hit my peak BR at $3700. All from $30. I'm a starving college student and the money meant a lot to me, yet I kept telling myself that I need to start taking stabs at bigger games in order to boost my BR to the level where I can turn pro once I graduate. I don't know why I even thought that now that I look back other than the fact that I was feeling like superman. My ego got the best of me.

I should've stuck with the levels I was playing at because I was absolutely destroying those games. Then, I started to jump into NL $200 more often than I should have, losing multiple buy-ins. Result: semi-tilt. Then, I started playing 15/30, which was WAY above my BR and started losing a hundred at this table and a hundred at that table and pretty soon I found myself down to $2K.

That's when it hit me. I lost nearly $2K on pure stupidity. I should've took a break and got my mindset straight but I continued to bleed chips away at bigger games, playing hands I never even consider playing with. J9s, A9o, KJ, raising w/ suited connectors from EP, calling raises from anywhere with any hand remotely playable from a tilt perspective. I was doomed to fail and I did... gosh it still hurts...

Cut to the chase and my poker accounts are empty. I had $3700 at Party one time, now it's empty. I had about $1K at Stars from an initial deposit of $200. Gone.

I'm not posting this to 'brag', as someone suggested, and I don't see how this post is considered bragging. I'm bragging I lost my roll? Uhh, if anything, I'm setting myself up to grade school commentary and "you're a tool" responses. That's just my opinion. If anyone thinks I'm bragging about my losses, so be it. I can't change the way you think.

In conclusion, I want to say that I appreciate the positive feedback from you fellow posters. You know who you are.

I'm going to take a long break from poker, probably until January. I'm going to re-read the poker books that helped me become a better player and read some I haven't read yet. I'm going to study this forum like an addict.

Hopefully, I'll be back and building my BR again.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Any advice how to avoid that?

Hey thanks for letting us in on that. It must have been real tough. (seriously)

Is there any advice you could give a noob like me (i've lost a bit o cash the same way, getting huge ego, cuz i won a couple freerolls or 10 dollar buy ins so i think yeah, i can win that 200 nl tourney) yeah right. anywho, just thought i'd ask if there was anything you'd say to someone trying to avoid the same thing.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re:p.s.

p.s.

Dont shoot yourself, I wanna hear the story how you bounced back, built a 7 figure br and won that bracelet.