Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 AM

Default Re: WTF is so hard about 3/6?

join a waiting list...i dont play 3/6, but at 2/4, you can normally get a good table if you join the lists. i think the lists get inflated by people that use the first table with X amount of players feature. i join a table by using a waiting list about 90% of the time.

if you get impatient, maybe try signing on, jumping on a few lists, then do a sit-n-go while you wait to get called for the table(s).

also, your blind play/shorthanded play might need work in these tighter 3/6 games. maybe play some 1/2 6max to try and get better at attacking/defending blinds.

and as always, try and develop some good reads on your players, and really try to put your opponents on a hand even when you are not in the hand. sometimes people just trying to figure out what they are doing wrong, when they should be paying more attention to what their opponents are doing (wrong).

one of my big problems while moving up limits was that i found a way to win in one kind of game...and i just played that way all the time, failing to think about things that are changing. for example, i would try to limp with small pocket pairs from early position, but at certain tables it was routinely getting raised behind me...so i then had to drop them.

hope some of this helps.

-mike
Old 11-14-2004, 02:59 AM

Good to know... thanks thirddan. Could this then be an indication of just a severe downswing, as opposed to not being able to beat the game?

For the last 200,000 hands or so, I have been a solid winner, with a few 125-150BB downswings (but none that were protracted for a significant period of time). Granted, this includes me starting out at $.05/$.10 on Stars; but regardless, the $10 I began with on Stars has been all I had to work with. As a result, I never considered myself a losing player... until now.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:03 AM

Default my experience

sample size, yadda yadda.

2/4, 15k hands: 5.7 BB / 100
3/6, 9k hands: 0.5 BB / 100
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 AM

Excellent post

1/2 6max is definately a good place to learn aggression as well as blind stealing/defence.

Being able to adapt to different tables is also very important. Some tables you may play at 13%VPIP while at another you might play at 20%.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:57 AM

after only 20k hands you could just be on a breakeven/downswing, many players here have gone through this kind of sustained drop or even period.

I have noticed in my stats that for every limit i move up my VPIP had dropped a few percent and my PFR has increased as well. I think you just have to adjust your game to the setting. There are not as many 6/7 way pots as at 2/4 and more pots are heads up or 3 handed out of the blinds. So learning to play marginal type hands and get max value out of them is much more important in the tighter more aggro 3/6 than at the 2/4...

Even if skillwise you are able to beat the 3/6, i don't think you will actually be able to unless you get your confidence back, because i imagine you are playing something less than your A game while you are worrying about your losing streak. Drop back to 2/4 or 1/2 for a few thousand hands and get your confidence back, then hit the 3/6 again...
Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 AM

it looks like our VPIP's stack up pretty well. I feel like I am probably leaving some EV on the table at 5/10 (my VP is like 11.5), do you feel this way as well?

Brad
Old 11-14-2004, 04:34 AM

i haven't played the 5/10 at party...

I may be missing some +EV situations by playing as tight as i do, but when i think about it think it is mostly to do with how far from the button i am willing to raise my marginal broadway hands, for example i might fold QJo/KTo in CO-1 rather than open raise, i think this may be costing me a little, but i would also imagine that it lowers my variance (something that i am ok with, i also give up my blinds a little too easily). Since i don't play for a living but more for some extra spending cash, I don't mind leaving a bit of missing out of some +EV situations in exchange for a slightly lower variance game...
Old 11-14-2004, 04:39 AM

Yeah I'm constantly changing my game, trying to see what works. I am in an ultra tight phase right now, but I'm trying to ease out of it slowly. Sorry to bother you, but I see you are from SF -- I am thinking about going to Artichoke Joe's tomorrow. Have you been there? And if so, is Sunday afternoon a good time?

Brad
Old 11-14-2004, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking about going to Artichoke Joe's tomorrow. Have you been there? And if so, is Sunday afternoon a good time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to AJ's yet, maybe one day...i've only played at lucky chances and the games are good all the time...I've played the 3/6 mondays at 7am and Friday nights so they are always good, the 6/12 looks nice too but is a big high for me...

If you decide to hit Lucky Chances or AJ's (maybe i can convince myself to leave my computer) send me a PM...
Old 11-14-2004, 04:51 AM

Default A hand from tonight with you

I was sitting to your immediate left tonight.. (I tried to identify myself with the brown trout thing) Anyway, I don't think you played this well. Why didn't you raise PF? What hands did you put me on to call down like this, I undertand you have 2 pair, but still.. what are my range of hands? How many of those do you beat?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: x2sk1 is in MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 <font color="purple">(x2sk1)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">BobDibble raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 <font color="purple">(x2sk1)</font> calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
x2sk1 checks, <font color="CC3333">BobDibble bets</font>, x2sk1 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.66 BB

[edit: I just went through the other hands that didn't stand out in my mind, and I thought you played them well. You had some horrible bad beats at the table I was at with you tonight, even though you were trying to protect your hand]