Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Phil Ivey, PP $215ers, and \"some of the best SNG players in the world\"

in reading an article on Phil Ivey on Cardplayer.com, his thinking on what makes a player "one of the best" is along the lines of how i think. yes, he does believe the best players make the most money; however, he also makes that money playing AGAINST some of the best players in the World on a regular basis. my personal opinion on the $215ers on PP who are consistent winners is that they are the best SNG players on Party Poker. from the posts i've read, it's a combination of skill, mathematics, mastery of the quick blind structure, and table selection (avoiding too many other good players...hmmmm).

so i ask again, how does this make them some of the "best in the world?" if you can't gauge how you stand up against the best SNG players on a regular basis (not just Party's structure), then how do you consider yourself the best? a key thing that Phil I discusses about play at the higher limits is the "Psychology" involved and the ability of the players to adjust to anything you do. with that in mind, what kind of real "Psychology" is being employed knowing that you're specifically playing this table because the players are'nt as good as you and that you'll make money off them? how much is your "mental" being tested if you're consistently moneying over subpar players? i always felt a player i would consider one of the best is a player who could "adjust instantly to and play against ANY player: loose, tight, fast, aggressive, mathematical, methodical, passive, crazy, solid, whatever....AND WIN!".