Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 05:14 PM

Default Re: recommended size of harddrive w/ PT?

Looks good to me, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

If ~$450 is your price point, and it's mostly gonna be a poker machine, I'd probably buy the $369 system and use the extra cash to get a 1600x1200 resolution monitor right away. Even if you play one table, the extra screen real estate is very nice to have.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:11 PM

I got the 2001FP (16x12 compatable LCD) from dell for $600. I think it is very worth it if you are going to multi, as you can put 4x tables with no overlap.

It should pay for itself.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

If ~$450 is your price point, and it's mostly gonna be a poker machine, I'd probably buy the $369 system and use the extra cash to get a 1600x1200 resolution monitor right away. Even if you play one table, the extra screen real estate is very nice to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now Dell's Home section has the 2001FP for $719, the Small Business Section for $599. I called them up to see if they would pricematch, and after they said yes then no because it wasn't in stock they finally let me have it for $599 (just have to wait two weeks for it). If you do decide to get it tell them the deal hinges on getting the monitor with it - they will cave. The nice thing about ordering it from the Home section of the site is that they don't charge tax in many states (SB always does) and the shipping was free (SB charges $35). Also, if you get that box make sure it will support 1600x1200x32bit at 60Hz, which is what that LCD will do. Probably does but you never know.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:27 AM

The deal looks like a quite decent but unspectacular one.

I'd prefer the 4600 because it will be easier to move your hands around in to do any upgrades, as it is a medium as opposed to an extra-small case. It will likely have better air circulation, too, which is good for component lifespan, especially if you ever upgrade to a hot-running video card(which I eventually would, if I were you).

It looks like it does have 4 places to put memory in, so your memory won't have to be thrown out if you upgrade memory(and I think you should, but plug it in yourself, don't get extra memory from Dell.)

If you get that video card that comes standard, you will have to add another video card yourself in later if you want to run two monitors to do more than 4-table. No big deal really, and no rush, if you're fine with 4 for a while. You can upgrade now by getting their X300 SE, or just keep it cheap for a while and upgrade later.

If it were me, I would just get a working box out the door and in my home, and worry about upgrading memory and/or the video card at my leisure, when I felt good about spending the money.

Thanksgiving is coming around, and Christmas, and there will likely be a sale on that kinda stuff. Plus, video cards always just get cheaper and cheaper, so no rush ever to buy those.

I'd recommend moving up to 1 gig of memory ASAP. I really notice a big difference in my machine's overall performance and net surfing when I have 512 megs and when I have 1 gig. Fewer freezes, less grinding to hard disk, etc. It also helps on games a great deal, though maybe not poker games. You'll get 512 RAM with your machine; just order another two sticks of RAM totaling 512(2x256) or 1 gig (2x512) RAM at www.newegg.com. Be sure you get the right type -- 400 mz DDR2, in your case. Newegg has sales on one type or another of RAM constantly.