Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2002, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Ultra-aggressive heads-up player

As the old saying goes, "Fight fire with fire".
Old 01-20-2002, 03:19 AM

If he can do *anything* with *anything*, you can treat him as a random hand- if you can beat the random hand, you're fine.

Further, if he's got rags two thirds of the times he represents strength, then there's no reason to fold to him, or even try to figure when he's bluffing or not... just call whenever you beat a bluff and you should come out ahead.

Just my thoughts. Standard disclaimer: I'm am idiot.

2ndGoat
Old 01-20-2002, 03:29 PM

I haven't read all the other posts but we have a fairly detailed discussion of exactly how to play against this type of player in the short handed section of the 21st Century edition of Hold 'em Poker For Advanced Players.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the input, though it seems that there's no real consensus (as I feared). My current plan is to enter with most hands, but playing a little tighter preflop (especially out of position) than I normally would heads-up, because I will go to the river with just about anything. I check and call a lot on the river, but bang away most anything until then (getting a bunch of extra calls along the way). Also, with weak hands, such as A-high and even a low pair, I will check behind him on the river since I have no chance of winning the pot there. It's high-variance to play against this guy, but should show some good profit nonetheless.