Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Unethical behavior at the table-- how do you handle it?

Thanks for the clarification.

Still I see no reason why players shouldn't be able to bring their stacks up to 100 at any time. Crappy rule.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:52 PM

Yeah I would have called the floor in like 3 seconds.

Once I was playing live NL and after a player left a few guys were talking about how they saw him palm like $15 off his stack a few times and put it into his pocket and I freaked out wondering why they wouldn't expose him like I would have.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:43 PM

A little off topic, but is it acceptable to take money from your stack in a cash NL game to

a) pay the time charge
b) tip the waitstaff for drinks
c) pay the waitstaff for food
Old 11-12-2004, 03:48 PM

1. absolutely not
2. not really
3. if i had the cash i just use that

these are just my opinions, of course.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then the $100 bills would 'mysteriously' not be on the 20 minutes later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? "not be on the ..." what? Table? This thought is missing something, or I just don't understand what you're saying.

If you're up, you can't pocket money? Is there a rule against taking money off the table? How about standing up and leaving? This seems to be a different issue than everone has posted about here (adding money to a short stack). Never played at Foxwoods. Not trying to be a smart-ass, I just don't understand the issue here.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:38 PM

Say you buy in for $100 and win it up to $300.... you can just start taking red chips off the table and puting them into your pocket. You can leave the table completely and take all your chips if you want to, but when you come back you can only buy in with $100.

Taking money off the table screws up table stakes, ie you can only play with what is on the table.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A little off topic, but is it acceptable to take money from your stack in a cash NL game to

a) pay the time charge

[/ QUOTE ]
absolutely, it is expected that you pay the rake from your stack. I have never seen anyone pay the rake out of their pockets

[ QUOTE ]

b) tip the waitstaff for drinks

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, almost everyone tips from their stacks. Some dont but its because they want to know exactly what their hourly rate is

[ QUOTE ]

c) pay the waitstaff for food

[/ QUOTE ]
This is also acceptable. In the rules it states that you are allowed to take money off the table for food. Although it is not as common as tipping the waitstaff

Dave
Old 11-12-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Table stakes rule... Im confused

OK, Im a limit player, but I dont understand why taking money off the table is unethical (though obviously I understand why other players dont like it, since their "losses" are now unrecoverable to an extent.)

As somebody has said, if you can sit down and buy in for up to $100, why can you not always recharge so you have a full stack of $100?

Similarly, since the rule is a minimum buy in rule, why is it problematic to take money off the table as long as you leave at least the minimum on the felt?

I understand why a maximum rule makes sense. Otherwise, if you have the bankroll, you can sit down with enough to cover the next largest chipstack, and enjoy an immediate advantage not available to those with a smaller bankroll.

But how does taking money off the table help you strategically? I dont see how it can. It helps your opponent since you aren't as deep behind the line.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Table stakes rule... Im confused

The theory is that people should have a right to win their money back. It is kind of like if you had $500 in front of you and said "I want to go all-in with only $50."
Old 11-12-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Table stakes rule... Im confused

Yes, except a player has the right to get up and leave at any time, then sit down again and buy in for up to the maximum. Since there is a legal & ethical way to evade the rule, the rule makes no sense to me.