Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Re-raising all-in with AQo -- too LAG?

I really think in this case, I'm talking about advancing further in the tournament.

I think your more worried about getting alot of chips
to increase your chance of finishing top 5.

Okay. Pot odds.

Right now, if you raise all in and he calls. Your getting 2.3:1 pot odds.

I said earlier I figured he had a decent hand.
If your against AA your a 92-8 dog
AK your a 75-25 Dog
KK = 72-28
QQ = 70-30

Those are the hands you don't have odds on obviously.

If he has KQ, JJ, AJ, A10...you've got pot odds....but as stated before..you better be damn sure he has one of those..if not..your gone.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:18 AM

You're absolutely correct. I didn't take the position of the limpers into consideration. If you're going to play the hand pushing is probably the only way to go. Obviously you want to make it very unfavorable for the two limpers to call. If you call, you're almost inviting them into the pot.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now, if you raise all in and he calls. Your getting 2.3:1 pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am?
My calculations give 1.77:1.
If that's true, I need to be about 36% to break even chip-wise. If his hand range is, say, AA-88, AKs-AJs, AKo-AQo, I am 38% and should probably take the odds if my goal is to make the top 5. But is this range too wide? I am not sure.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:36 AM

Haha. Sorry.

Totally figured that wrong. I'm on the end of an 11 hour session.

To me, that makes your push even more difficult. But I think it's clear we would have played this situation differently.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also figure he has a decent hand. I don't have a reliable read on him and cannot put him on a particulary narrow range. But considering the action, I think a reasonable range is AA-JJ, AK-AQ. Against this range of hands, I am 33%. In other words, I seem to have the odds to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you give him that range of hands, the question is really 'how fast can I fold?'

It's great that you want to 2.5x up, but what you're really doing here is calling all in as a gigantic dog. This would be one thing if you had 1 BB left after posting and had to call any two, or even if doubling up assured you of making the final table, but here, you have 5 BB remaining after the SB passes you and position to push- while sucking out gets you ~12 BB, still leaving you near push or fold mode. This is silly, even without taking any limpers' calls into account; right off the top of my head, your $EV on this call is, like, pretty bad.

I would much rather fold this and raise all in with two cards after two limpers than to call that raise.

Your revised range (adding TT-88 and AJs) is ever so slightly better but it still sucks enough to fold.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 AM

Wow, you analyze the hand , figure out yur most likely beat,are in hard chip postion but far from impossible, and push anyway.....kinda a bad push when yur hoping to be 44% dont yu think??
Old 11-10-2004, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you analyze the hand , figure out yur most likely beat,are in hard chip postion but far from impossible, and push anyway.....kinda a bad push when yur hoping to be 44% dont yu think??

[/ QUOTE ]

Blunt but correct. After a good night's sleep the fold has become obvious to me.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:47 PM

Default You are right. My mistake, I think, was marrying the hand.

You are right, sir.

I think I made this mistake because of the two limpers. And it wasn't so much about the pot odds...rather, each limp got me more and more emotionally invested in the idea of playing this hand agressively. I was happy to see the AQ, the best hand I'd had in several orbits. I become more excited when I saw that there were no EP raisers. And once the MP players limped, I was just itching to push and pick up a nice 7000 pot. Once I set myself up like this, I had an easy time convincing myself that the button was probably just using his position to steal the pot...despite the fact that he hadn't been playing all that agressively.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:16 PM

I like this play at this junction of the tourney. It's a late position raise which opens up the possibility of many hands he could hold; in addition, he could be attempting to fold the limpers and get a nice pot cheap. You're officially short stacked and need to pick a hand soon, this is as good as you'll likely get...I move in...good play. What was the result?

Spyder
Old 11-10-2004, 01:19 PM

That depends upon the stage of the tourney.

Early, I'd lay AK down...Later, if I was less than average or short stacked, I'd call; If I was a big stack, I'd lay it down again. Tournaments are different, pot odds are not the only odds to which you need to pay attention....why gamble when you don't have to?

Spyder