Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: what is wrong with us?????

I understand why you don't believe me....It is the truth however...Look.. I am not against welfare...It is just being misused....I know it isn't a comfortable life, but for some it is better than working...Many need it...and deserve it...However there are alot out there that don't... I don't recall reagans welfare queen thing you mentioned. I just know what I have seen...believe it or not....
Old 11-07-2004, 05:39 PM

You must be pissed at Clinton for campaigning on and signing welfare refrom.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:23 PM

I just know what I have seen...believe it or not....

Well, clearly your own personal experience can be extrapolated to cover the entire system of government aid to the poor. I mean, after all, if someone wearing a red hat robs you then clearly red hats make people criminals.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must be pissed at Clinton for campaigning on and signing welfare refrom.

[/ QUOTE ]No, I think he was dealing with a political reality. Reagan's framing of the welfare issue was very effective. The thought that we're paying Shaniqua to drive a cadillac and not work was and is still very emotionally potent.

The question is, what image can we possibly use to get America emotionally worked up about the real problem: white collar crime?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:16 PM

I never said everyone on welfare is taking advantage of the system....There are many that do...There are also many that deserve it and should get it...I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST WELFARE OR THE LESS FORTUNATE!!!!!! All I said was it needs to be reformed to help people better themselves with job training and not just hand out a check every month...Why are you so opposed to people doing something for thier welfare check???? Picking up trash on the roads, cleaning up gang grafitti..That I think isn't too much to ask is it???
Old 11-07-2004, 07:20 PM

Atleast he stuck to his word.(for clinton that is impressive)..I am not sure what he did to reform it...Maybe it is better than it was back when I handed out food stamps...To be honest there are much more important issues out there..
Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I said was it needs to be reformed

[/ QUOTE ]Everything about our government could use some reform. But some things only need a little reform (like welfare), while some things need a lot of reform, and quickly (like white collar crime).

Which goes back to my first post. I don't believe welfare cheating to be a anywhere near a significant problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:13 PM

I couldn't agree with you more..We have far greater problems than welfare that need to be addressed. Corporate crime and control of our government should be top on the list...I think you may have me mistaken for a conservative..I'm not...So, you won't get an arguement from me here....sorry..
Old 11-07-2004, 09:44 PM

I never said everyone on welfare is taking advantage of the system....There are many that do...There are also many that deserve it and should get it...I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST WELFARE OR THE LESS FORTUNATE!!!!!! All I said was it needs to be reformed to help people better themselves with job training and not just hand out a check every month...Why are you so opposed to people doing something for thier welfare check???? Picking up trash on the roads, cleaning up gang grafitti..That I think isn't too much to ask is it???

Costs more than just cutting checks. If the goal is some kind of Puritan work ethic thing, sure, you could do it. It'll cost a good deal more money than welfare presently does, however.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:48 PM

Our country has always been divided, and at many times it has been more strongly divided. What's going on right now is that it's EVENLY divided, and that makes elections tougher ordeals.

Clinton was hated, GHW Bush was hated, Reagan was hated, Carter was hated, Ford was hated, Nixon was hated, Lincoln was hated, Jackson was hated, Jefferson was hated. Division has always been with us.

Let us know when drive-by shootings are taking place on the floor of the House before you make that gang analogy again, though.