Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Re: J9o in the SB, Blind vs Blind.

I think the key words are 'on tilt'. I would let him just steam off his money. If you bet and he has an ace, you don't have to agonize over calling a raise that you would probably have to.

The Shill
Old 11-06-2004, 10:44 AM

Looks good.

Don't be a smartass. Bad for business.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:37 PM

Don't be a smartass. Bad for business.

Usually I agree, but in this case, I think it was good to respond to him. He enjoyed it, and seemed to be having fun with it.

Our table gets shorthanded.

He says, 'I can't believe our table is getting short, and people are on waiting lists for other games.'

I say, 'Yeah, and they could come over here, where we have a moron, an idiot, and a retard that they could play with. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

He says, 'Exactly right, lol'

The namecalling, and jokes were going on for a couple of hours, and although sometimes it seems mean when that happens, at this table, it seemed like the players were having fun with it.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:39 PM

That is pretty much what I was thinking on the river, with more detail. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Didn't realize the guy was playing like Tilty McTilterson. I like the hand completely then.

Rob
Old 11-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Bob (or others),

Do you find yourself just calling a lot heads-up? I like the way you played this hand, I would have done the same thing. In general, though, I have recently noticed that I frequently just call down heads-up, even with fairly strong hands like top pair weak kicker (if that pair is aces and I am in position after limping in LP with, say, A6s). Sometimes I'll raise the river but only if I can confidently fold to a 3-bet.

Usually I just hope to either rope-a-dope or lose the minimum. Obviously specific hand examples would be necessary to answer this question completely but do you find just calling down heads-up with medium-strong hands is often a good strategy against unknowns?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:29 PM

Obviously specific hand examples would be necessary to answer this question completely but do you find just calling down heads-up with medium-strong hands is often a good strategy against unknowns?

Yes, with mitigating factors being my hand, my position, and my recent history with this player.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:50 PM

An idea I adapted from bridge is useful in this situation.

Your opponent probably has a better idea who is ahead than you do. We are sort of thinking 'way ahead/way behind', but he probably knows which it actually is. Usually he's either betting a nice ace or else he has nothing or a small pair.

A good reaction to an information disadvantage is to take his decisions away from him. That is best accomplished by being passive. The problem with betting is if he folds he'll probably be right and if he raises he'll probably be right. Don't give him a chance to make those good decisions. Keep the money coming in when you are ahead and minimize the action when you are behind.

This works better with position because you can prevent free cards. Here you have to do the best you can by checking and hoping he bluffs when he's behind.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:54 PM

A good reaction to an information disadvantage is to take his decisions away from him. That is best accomplished by being passive. The problem with betting is if he folds he'll probably be right and if he raises he'll probably be right. Don't give him a chance to make those good decisions.

I thought I knew this, and then you said it, and now I know it so much better.