Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Learning to play by playing free games

deacsoft,
Thanks for your kind words and support. I understand what Clem meant. It was meant to be emphatic, rather than literal. Indeed, I had already learned quite a bit from jake the fake tables.
Spent hours last nite reading post here. Great help. You guys/gals who respond are invaliable. Know that I (we) appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:33 PM

I'll give the standard build a bankroll new player advice. Go to pacific (pacificpoker.com) sign up for an account, but don't fund it at all. Wait a week or so and they will put some free money in there for you (up to $20 from what I understand, but it varies. They have micro limit games there and the players are terrible. Work your way up. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:15 PM

Yeah, sometimes they give a free $10, but sometimes they don't. It's not advertised, and it's random as to who gets the free $10. But instead of signing up with Pacific directly, I can give you a free $50 starting bankroll.

I agree that it's best for a beginning player to start out at the micro limits, and work his way up. This way, you can improve your game and build a bankroll, without ever risking much money.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:30 PM

On many sites, the play-money tables are not completely crazy. For example, Ultimate Bet has some decent play at its higher play-money tables. (It has lots of terrible play, too.) On many sites, you can get a few extra chips at any time, but in order to play at the higher tables you need to have more chips. If you lose them, you have to drop down. That means those who play at the higher play money tables tend to know something and there is some incentive for them not to throw their stacks away.

Another thing you can learn from play-money tables is that outplaying your opponents does not mean you win 100% of the time. It's better to see some downswings before you start playing for significant amounts of money, though you will tend to have a much larger advantage over play-money opponents than over real opponents, so play-money downswings are much shorter.

Freerolls can also be a good way to practice. If you bust out, you can't enter another freeroll for some time, so there is some incentive to play well to keep playing. Also, the prizes can be worthwhile.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Bull

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you find short-handed play money tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many sites have 5 or 6 max fake money tables. When i was doing it, pokerroom had plenty of 5 max tables.

b
Old 11-07-2004, 02:21 AM

I had to give up on play money tables myself, It was just to hard to count all the bets. Add to that the fact that it plays so fast with no one thinking about there plays, just calling and raising in a heartbeat. Does anyone have any suggestions on learning how to count outs and figure pot odds quickly.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, sometimes they give a free $10, but sometimes they don't. It's not advertised, and it's random as to who gets the free $10. But instead of signing up with Pacific directly, I can give you a free $50 starting bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]
I just signed up with Pacific to grab some free loot. I didn't deposit anything for a few days, and they sent me an e-mail informing me that they had credited my account with $10. Not bad. I still will have to deposit my own cash to get my "free" goodies though.

Party Poker also credited me with $25, if I recall the amount correctly.
Same scenerio there:
I open a new account and don't deposit any money into it for a few days.

So, if you want to get on those "random" money giveaway lists, I think it's necessary to keep your account empty for a few days. You have to give them time to "coax" you into playing on their site. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EDIT- By the way, Mangatang, as long as you are giving $50 to people send some my way. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 10:31 AM

I'm jealous. When I signed up with Pacific, I waited a week and half before making a depsosit, waiting for the free money, but it never came.

No one loves me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

This
[ QUOTE ]
it plays so fast with no one thinking about there plays, just calling and raising in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers this
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any suggestions on learning how to count outs and figure pot odds quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Experience and practice through repetition is the best way.

b
Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 PM

I have empty accounts at about a half a dozen different places, haven't seen any free money yet.

QUOTE*
Yeah, sometimes they give a free $10, but sometimes they don't. It's not advertised, and it's random as to who gets the free $10. But instead of signing up with Pacific directly, I can give you a free $50 starting bankroll.*END

Can i get sum?