Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which vice-presidential candidate
Slight Cheney win 25 24.27%
Big Cheney win 21 20.39%
Big Edwards win 11 10.68%
Slight Edwards win 26 25.24%
Even 20 19.42%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s preflop call of 75s

Don't worry he will find problems, and has in past. Gotta work sometimes otherwise the fishies would never do it right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 09:47 PM

Daniel Negreanu is probably one of the best players in the world at playing straight and flush draws.

It's not an easy call, and I probably would fold here, but I have the greatest respect for the ability of Dan N to play this particular position.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:08 PM

How do you know he is the best in the world at this. How do you know he's even good at it. I can only think of 2 times at the moment that i remember one Dan admitted to in an article. First was in The big Paris aviationn clib tourney. He had a huge stack(possibly chip leader 6 or 7 handed) and played a hand in a similar way to this one and lost most or all of his chips and didn't make the t.v. table. big mistake!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:19 PM

Eh... I pick things up. You're right, I don't know how good he is at this position. But we all know how good Daniel N is, looking at all his HH's he's posted on Cardplayer. You can infer the way he talks about how easy a call it is that he is great at these situations. It is a very high risk play, but a few pros love doing it, for example, Doyle Brunson. (And I know this because I read the NLHE part of Super System) If you want to mix in rags, this is way to go.

And yeah, you can lose a lot of chips here, especially when you hit a flush that isn't the nuts and lose to a flush that's the nuts, but you can also bust someone with a made straight when he has TPTK.

Of course, I could be wrong (on how good Dan N is at these situations), but hey, I like my guess here. Anyone want to prove me right or wrong?
Old 11-02-2004, 10:57 PM

Firstly we don't even know for sure whether Daniel is good or not. Do you know how long a stretch he went without winning anything, and putting himself into serious debt after blowing his ealry winnings from his first world series event. It was long. So finally this year he's running good. While for years he was getting left behind. not trying to bash him. He may or may not be good. Just hate it when people say all these guys are great and the best in the world. And it must be the right play cause so and so did it. Even if daniel was a good player it wouldn't necessarily be because he calls reraises with dopey hands. Maybe that play is the play that's been holding him back all these years and he does other things good that make him good. Just can't say he's the best in the world at making that play. Especially when he selectively writes about a few of them.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly we don't even know for sure whether Daniel is good or not. Do you know how long a stretch he went without winning anything, and putting himself into serious debt after blowing his ealry winnings from his first world series event. It was long. So finally this year he's running good. While for years he was getting left behind. not trying to bash him. He may or may not be good. Just hate it when people say all these guys are great and the best in the world. And it must be the right play cause so and so did it. Even if daniel was a good player it wouldn't necessarily be because he calls reraises with dopey hands. Maybe that play is the play that's been holding him back all these years and he does other things good that make him good. Just can't say he's the best in the world at making that play. Especially when he selectively writes about a few of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be really feeling it...
Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 PM

huh.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly we don't even know for sure whether Daniel is good or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, but this statement verges on ridiculous.. We KNOW Daniel Negreanu is good, b/c he won the best overall player award at this years WSOP, is the point leader in card player's player of the year competition, has won many large buy in events, and has garnered the praise of fellow pros.

I do not care if he went broke 50 times over .. he is now GREAT.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:27 PM

Why because he had a good year.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:31 PM

Ok, I'm making a few assumptions here.

This is my logic:
Daniel N is a good player.
When Daniel N talks about the ease of this call, he is making it sound like this is a great situation.
A good player knows what he is talking about when he suggests that this 75s situation is great.
To make this 75s situation great, one would have to very good at playing this type of suited connector in position.

That's my guess. I think it's a pretty damn good one.

It may not be the right play because this guy did it. In fact, I'm seriously doubting this play here. If it was a lesser player, I may be challenging this. However, I am deferring to an excellent poker player here, and someone who writes damn good articles, especially his own HHs.