Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: 80 Hand vs. Teri

I'm not folding on the river.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:30 PM

I think the "standard" play is to check call, check call and bet the river, right? lots of hands you beat will call a bet but check behind. whether or not that's the best play against teri is a different matter.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-29-2004, 02:32 PM

I've never played with Terri so I can't say for sure, but one possibility would be to check-call the flop and lead the turn (with the intention of folding to a raise). I think she'd be unlikely to get frisky with a worse hand against this line because of your tight image, and the fact that this line seems to be trying to induce excessive action from an aggressive player that has position.

You really are in a somewhat untenable position here though because any line you choose would be giving up some value across her range of hands depending on what specific hand she holds, and its hard to guage which line would get maximum value across her entire range.

With the line you took, I think you are behind on the river, but at that point you are getting almost 8-1 and you are stuck paying off.

It sucks being heads-up out of position against a tough player.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM

Hey mks,

Preflop/flop/turn are good. I think that leading the river is a viable alternative to check-calling, but your play to this point puts you on a pretty narrow range of hands, which is going to let Terri make good raises and folds that take away some of the value that you get from betting the river.

ML4L
Old 10-29-2004, 02:44 PM

it all depends on what she thinks of you. but given what we know of her play i think not checkraising the river and calling a 3 bet is significantly -EV.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 PM

I would probably play it the same way. I don't think you will like your hand if you get the other player to put in two bets on the river. For that reason I would not lead or check-raise on the river. If I remember correctly, HPFAP says you have to have the best hand 60% percent of the time if you bet the river. Since you would have to call any raise or re-raise I think the concept applies here.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:30 PM

"If I remember correctly, HPFAP says you have to have the best hand 60% percent of the time if you bet the river."

i guess it bears repeating that this is the same player from mason's big recent post that had QTo and checkraised the A high flop against a weak button bettor and then bet the whole way down. she's a loose aggressive expert.

so if you cant find a way to punish her like by value checkraising her on the river (after youve induced her to bluff or value bet a worse hand on each street) then since AQ was UTG it's perfect timing to get up and go play against easier players. otherwise play it like you have some sort of a sack man!

this is such the river checkraise it's not even funny. she could so have AJ or JJ or whatever.

argh! you people are driving me so crazy on here today! now i have to go play online. if i dont checkraise someone like right fuucking now im going to scream!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is such the river checkraise it's not even funny. she could so have AJ or JJ or whatever.

argh! you people are driving me so crazy on here today! now i have to go play online. if i dont checkraise someone like right fuucking now im going to scream!

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, have "IT". [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 PM

"You sir, have "IT"."

if by "IT" you mean "herpes" then i geuss the cat's out of the bag isnt it?

last time i tell gabe anything.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:20 PM

Raise then check call down ---HUMMMMMM
AQo UTG -- hummmmmm
TIGHT ---- hummmmmmm
I see nothing in here that gives any clue as to being a good, very good or even an "IT" play ----------
where the heck is the riase, where the heck is the good play HUMMMMMMMM